What makes a trumpet better than another?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    hahah Well i heard that if you go to the school of Hogwarts it takes 2 years to become a musician ROFL

Ill try practicing a bit more. But like i said my lips do get numb pretty quick. But i don't know who to listen to. I mean my teacher has been playing the trumpet from when he was 9 years old. And he has been conducting orchestras and crap like that. Ive seen the picture of him doing that. A massive brass orchestra. And his like dont over practice cause you will be forcing yourself doing something you dont want to do. And he said if you practice to much your lips will numb and you wont be able to blow the notes right which is true cause i cant blow them when they get numb.

2. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You have to take it easy, don't strain your lips. Try practicing in fifteen minute intervals at first. Try and do four a day at the beginning and eventually maybe build into 30 minute intervals. Always rest just as much as you play. Lots and lots of long tones with great tone being your focus. I'd suggest listening to some of your favorite players before you practice. Have Chris Botti's tone in your head before playing and let your mind figure out how to get you there. Listen to your teacher. Playing will get easier with time, just always remember to play healthy. Don't make your lips do more work than they have to. Best of luck with all you do.

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Well yer ill try. I mean i do my 15min practice. Then like 1 hour later i look at the trumpet case and lol it calls me and i just get and muck around with it ROFL . But umm yer well i listen to Chris Botti, but you i can't get that tone his really good. I don't understand why my trumpet doesnt sound like his? Do you reckon the people that have been playing for a few years now can play like him? Say is that a picture of you and chris Botti? If so what was the occasion lol ? Chris Botti is my inspiration. I want to be bale to play like him. But i dont know, is it to do with begin gifted or you know?

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman,

There will always be those better than us - aim to be the best YOU can be - your tone will improve over time (a long time), but practice and brain will both be needed. Keep at it. Take a simple tune and keep coming back to it - use it as a mechanism to judge how you are improving - when you can nail that tune to your satisfaction, find another that is just beyond your limits. This sets you up to practice specific pieces for special gigs - practice until you can't get it wrong. Analyse all the info you get, and take what you need from all. Above all - have fun.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thank you Nick.

Hitman,
    I understand that you are worried about who to listen too, and I and everyone else here will always tell you to listen to you teacher. I'm am sure you have a teacher that is an excellent trumpter player, but just because some one is an outstanding trumpet player that doesn't mean they are an outstanding teacher! If your lips are getting numb after 15 min... on a consitant bases, then you are doing something wrong! Probably pressing the mouthpiece into your face too hard. Please discuss these issues with him and tell him that you want to increase your endurance... then let us know how things are going.

6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well he just says it takes time for your lips to build up. He said at the moment my lips cant handle this much pressure.

7. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    Yer, I’m glad to hear that you’re doing multiple practice sessions per day.
    I absolutely agree with the comment that a good player does not always make a good teacher. It’s good to have a teacher with broad experience with many players and with actual training as a teacher. Don’t be afraid to get sample lessons from many teachers before deciding on one.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay someone for 2 hours for something I could learn from a book. I don’t know what your theory lessons consist of, but unless there is some hands-on keyboard stuff or some experience that I cannot get from a printed page, I wouldn’t pay for it. Keep evaluating what you are getting for your money. A teacher should not be thought of as an employee, but it’s still your money and you are part of the partnership.

In addition to books, you can search for music theory and music appreciation podcasts and get some good and enjoyable information.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Because you are not Chris Botti. Though the gear (trumpet and mouthpiece) may affect your sound, the most important variable is the person behind the horn. You can get a nice trumpet sound, but you will never be exactly like Botti. Listening to Botti is a good thing to do, but don't limit yourself to him. Listen to as many famous trumpets as you can. Surely, Botti can sound pretty well on a chinese trumpet, but that's not the point. Try to emulate the sound of the musicians you like (like Botti) but even if you get an amazing sound, close to Botti's you will still be Hitman, not Botti. This should not prevent you from making good music though.

9. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I met Chris after a show he did here in town, the pictures from after the show. I think trumpetnick has given you some great advice. Listen to as many players as you possibly can. I mentioned Botti because I've read in previous posts of yours that you're a fan. The idea is to know what you want your trumpet to sound like in your head when you play. The easiest way to do this is to listen to players you admire. Strive for your own unique sound. Chris Botti got his tone from his studies with a trumpet teacher named Bill Adam and by his love for Miles Davis' tone. Playing the trumpet is a journey that can teach you more about life than anything. Ten years from now you will still be listening and adjusting each day. Always strive for better things. Take it slow and enjoy the process. Becoming a great trumpet player doesn't happen overnight, enjoy the road. Just play something better today than you did yesterday. In time you'll be amazed where you'll be.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That is the best thing I've read on TM! The corollary is: When life gets rocky and your balance is out of whack, playing the trumpet can bring your equilibrium back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.