What makes you fall in love with a horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stradbrother, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    This. Too many people buy instruments that sound great, but play terribly! I played a mt vernon strad a couple weeks ago that my friend had recently bought. It sounded great, was in almost perfect condition, but the high register was horrible and I couldn't play it for more than a minute without hating it. She had payed $2,300 for something that is horrendous to play. I couldn't do that. You won't have any motivation to play or get better if everytime you play you don't like what you're playing.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Blasphemy! It's a Mt. Vernon Strad - it MUST be perfect in every way!

I've said it once and I'll say it again - just because something is vintage doesn't mean that it's inherently any better than a modern production instrument - it just means that it's old. In a lot of cases, there is a reason those old horns aren't made anymore.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    The first 15 seconds..... I know then.

4. NMex

NMex Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    I will like most horns the first time I play them. Without my regular horn to compare to, it's a shot in the dark. I play low register things. I try the pedal tone range. I play mid range things. I play slow things. I play high and fast. I check the evenness of the scale and the slide function. What do the valves feel like? Are they noisy? Are they fast? What is the fit and finish like? Does it dump water completely? Does it play well with my regular mouthpiece? Does it play well with other mouthpieces I own? How heavy is it? Do my mutes fit into the bell well?

What is the sound like? Is it bright or dark? Can I change the sound easily?

Try and check all of those things in my first session with the horn. Then again a few days later. I can learn to push a horn around to get the sound I have in my head. I want the horn to help me get that sound, not make it more difficult. By the end of the 2nd session, I'll know whether I like the horn or not. Whether I like it. I've accepted that I might like a much different horn than the next guy. That's why there are so many different kinds of horns (and also why I have two very different horns).

I love to try different horns. I love to hear good players, play.

Regards,

Mario

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Since you say so, PM me for the address you can send it to until you feel you want it back again. The way you've described Schilke trumpets before makes me want to try one if I ever come across one.
    (e.g. http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/schilkes-new-website-79475-3.html#post795133 and
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/schilke-trumpet-world-tour-review-23883.html#post208716 and
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/continued-thoughts-schilke-b6-23751.html#post207469
    and probably many more...)

--bumblebee

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Tomorow is another day.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm a sucker for sound; I'll put up with a lot of idiosyncrasies for a horn with a great sound. This is not a good thing, and it's something I'm trying to overcome, since sound has always been one of my strong points. Ease of play should be #1, and intonation is crucial, too, because every compensation you have to make wears you out that much faster. Appearance matters to me; it's a reflection of commitment to the best of trumpet playing. Still looking for the right one; haven't found it yet; might not ever happen. I truly believe that the right horn finds you, but so far I've been too hard to find.

8. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    The price! :evil: No, seriously: for amateurs like me, the price is the first consideration. I'm in love with my B&S Challenger horn that I got on eBay for a very good price. It's the best horn I've owned, lovely tone, free-blowing, easy slotting. But I wouldn't have been in love with it at twice that price because I wouldn't have had it!

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Good point, as much as Ive seen B47's go for recently I would not have fallen in love with my horn

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that this can be intellectualized. Vulgano Brother has often posted (and I have shamelessly stolen) that the "Horn finds us". This is just like real "love" with a person. Sometimes it only lasts to the honeymoon, sometimes it dies after 7 years, sometimes it is good for a lifetime, sometimes you "cheat" after many years.

I only have one parameter with my horns: warm fuzzies. If I have never had them with a specific instrument, I keep my eyes, ears and heart open.

Probably the shortest post that I have ever written......