What Method(s) after brain surgery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Aug 7, 2011.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Hello Folks,

Here's my scenario:

I'm attempting a comeback to playing after a good 3 years away from any kind of serious playing. The reason? I ended up having to have brain surgery for what's known as a Chiari Malformation 2 1/2 years ago. Not to get into TOO many details but basically this means that my brain had grown in a way that was putting too much pressure on the top of my spinal column and interrupting the flow of spinal fluid. The surgery took a piece of my skull and parts of my top two vertebra out in order to make room for my brain. My doc has told me I am ok to resume all regular activity including playing.

As I have been playing a bit lately I have been getting some discomfort in the area of my surgery (back of my head) whenever I start to push the volume and/or range and am starting to think I am going to need to change some things if this is going to work. I feel like I have too much tension and I feel like too much restriction in my horn and my airflow are creating the problems.

I am seriously thinking about a more free blowing horn like a Callet Jazz might help, but I really want to figure out what methods of playing would be the best for me to explore. I have studied the Reinhart method with Scott Holbert in the past but I am wondering if other methods might be worth looking into.

Is there a specific method that is more geared toward an approach that focuses most on being relaxed and NOT overblowing?

I will probably go see Scott as some point to see what he can suggest for me.

I know this is a bit of a weird question, and I know not TOO many people will have experienced anything like this... but I know you all will have some ideas.

I REALLY look forward to getting back into playing, and I really hope that in the long run this is a good thing for me, making me find a better/ more sensible/ thought out approach than I used before.

Thanks in advance for any and ALL thoughts!!!

Scott in Maryland

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Scott, before you go on the Great Instrument Safari have a look at Dave Monettes website particularly with respect to his Body Centring Techniques on posture - you may solve your problem by simply moving your feet - and it is quite inexpensive. Unless of course you have N +1?

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Alexander technique might be able to help you on your way.
    Good luck!

5. tubamuirum

tubamuirum New Friend

Jul 15, 2004
    West Sussex, UK
    Co-incidentally you might be on the right track with Callet, but perhaps consider his Sima or another really efficient horn in conjunction with the TCE technique which emphasises not overblowing. I think very open horns can sometimes cause some of us to create our own resistance elsewhere in the system.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. I am just guessing here ... so take it for what it is..
    I wonder if a cornet would be better suited ... the weight is closer in so I would think that's a good thing and I also think they are easy to play...
    then their is the flugelhorn option ... while there is back pressure a decent one resonates without much effort and you really aren't going to be blasting much above the staff ... I mean you could but probably not..
    Then there is the style of music you play... how about directing your play to being a hot cool jazz soloist instead of a lazer screaming lead player

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011