What Model Conn do I have?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acarcido, Dec 28, 2009.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I just recently came across a nice ConnTrumpet with the label Victor "B" engraved on the lead pipe about 3 forward of where the mouthpiece inserts into the lead pipe. The serial number is a 6 digit and starts with 574XXX which indicates that it is a 1956 make. I think this is a Victor 6B but I am not really sure. Pictures look almost identical to what I've seen online. Can anyone please help me out here? I am a Conn loyalist but have just recently purchased a Kanstul 1600. Awsome horn too. Anyways, any info on the Conn is much welcomed and appreciated.

acarcido (Southern California)

2. UgoSolari

UgoSolari New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    boulder, colorado
    Sounds like a 6B to me.
    I'm playing one right now; three big band record dates this month; using it to play lead. Mine has the yellow/lacquer bell and leadpipe w/ the nickel plated
    valve section.

This week, the first trombonist has been saying, "wow, that's freaking loud," and I have just been smiling back at him.

Brad Goode

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hey Brad, That is exactly what my Conn has. Nickel plated valves and yellow brass lead pipe and bell too. You're also right on with this horn being able to blow with a great loud sound. I paid $400 for it and it sound so much better than my Kanstul 1600 WB that I paid $2100 for. Thatnks for the input and good luck on yyour recordings my fellow trumpeter.

Art C

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for this info. I have a Conn which I got in 1962 that has the letter "B" stamped on the mouthpiece insert. It is brass with silver valve covers, nickle valves and a rose lead pipe. Serial number: 950XXX.

Do you know the series or Model number?

As for sound, it carries it's weight.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    When I was in college I was a French Horn major. However, in marching season I played trumpet. I played a Conn 6B and traded it in for a bach Strad that was later stolen. The 6B was indeed a loud horn. never had anyproblems being heard with that one.

Ed Courtois Balanced Model trumpet
    Rudy Muck Super Artist clone
    1954 Olds Super w/ Bach uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    Olds Special cornet
    Besson cornet (London)
    Getzen Eterna Flugel (4 valve)

"Hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20"

6. UgoSolari

UgoSolari New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    boulder, colorado
    You have a 10B. Like the 6B, but with a wider wrap.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    So I have a 10B and not a 6B like I originally thought? I am just verifying to see if you are answering me (acarcido) or the other individual (Rushtucky) on this.

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User