What model trumpet did/do the pro jazz guys play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Melodious Thunk, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Just wondering if anyone ever compiled a list of what brand and model trumpets the jazz trumpet greats played on? I would be curious! I guess I know what Miles, Chet Baker and Wynton played/play on, but what about folks like Kenny Dorham for example?

2. Melodious Thunk

Melodious Thunk Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
  3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I met a great trumpet player in New Orleans around 12 - 13 years ago and talked quite a long time with him. He had just returned from a tour in Japan and was doing the club scene at the time. He told me when he wore a horn out he would hit the pawn shops and play horn after horn until one would feel right and then buy it. He said he didn't look at the brand and couldn't tell you what he was playing at the moment - it didn't matter to him, just how it played and boy did he ever sound good. He said he liked the pawn shops in New York better, the horns seem to be in better shape up there.

4. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
  5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    That makes perfect sense on so many different levels when you remove all marketing hype from your decision making. I would say this though. How many horns is he wearing out and why? I mean I have seen some heavily used horns that looked like they survived use in a War zone that sounded like new and had valves that looked and measured out like new. So I would have to wonder what he is doing if he is wearing out a lot of horns! You follow me! I am looking at a trumpet that is just slightly under 100 year's old and is still in decent playing shape but she is not pretty!

Even with student models probably 1 out of every 1000 will turn out to be a ringer by that I mean it will sound and play like the best pro-horn you have ever played. The difference of course being when you fork out the money for an actual pro-horn you expect 99 out of 100 of them to sound like a pro-horn you follow me?

Same thing goes for rifles and pistols which is another hobby that used to be job related. Some times you will get a $500 factory hunting rifle that will shoot on par with a $3000 custom made rifle using competition hand made part's fitted to extremely close clearances. The difference being the $500 tack driver is one out of 1000 while the hand made hunting rifle made with the highest quality parts had fitted will always shoot like that will come with a written guarantee to that effect and often a target from it being test fired after it was finished demonstrating it's accuracy before it left the factory.

In the deep south you see all kinds of things you will not see in New York city and the like!!! You might see a guy in the Orchestra playing with an Olds Ambassador Student trumpet why???? Because it has the right sound does that mean all Olds Ambassadors are going to sound like that? No! So the man makes a valid point on many different levels. If your trumpet has the sound you need for the work you are doing your audience could car less who's name is on the side. Sometimes though it is easier to just go toa store and buy what you need then it is to go Pawn Shop hunting for a horn.

For example I know that if I need a good symphonic sound I could hardly go wrong with any of the versions of the Chicago Style Yamaha's. I know that if I needed a nice ensembles trumpet I would be hard pressed to go wrong with a Schilke beryllium bell trumpet or a Harrelson Muse etc......They are well know and consistent product with a known sound etc..........I have no idea what I will find in the Flint area of Michigan or the Lansing area in terms of pawn shop finds? So if one has the money I can fuly understand why one would just buy what they want!

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    lv55 - my wife and I spent every break talking with the gentleman and after the second time he came to our table after he left the owner of the club came over and told us the trumpet players life history. Seems as if he was a prodigy and was playing with the New Orleans Symphony as a teen. He also said the man plays upwards of 6 to 8 hrs. a day. I can imagine this would put some wear and tear on an instrument, especially when the horn is already used before he gets it. I know a player here in town who has an early 60's Benge [he purchased new] that he plays every day and looks brand new, but he is very careful with it and always uses a hanky to hold it while playing it plus he never allows anyone to play his horn. Maybe the gentleman from New Orleans just treats his horns as pieces of metal and doesn't do much to maintain them. He did say every time he is in New York he checks pawn shops so that he will always have a horn ready to be his next player.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I would love to hit up pawn shop's in New York all the good stuff on Ebay is from the large cities usualy ont he coast's but some times a real gem tunrs up in other places like Kansas or some other out of the way place. Almost everything I see on Ebay that I like in trumpet is usual comeing from New York, New Jersey,Boston California, Seattle, or France! Seldom does anything I really really drool over seem to find it way my way. I am sure their are some real gems in Michigan just not as many of them per-1000 people though and the pawn shops are spead out like mad! I grew up in big cities though and once when my Grandfather was visiting us in Ft. Benning Ga. he took me to a pawn shop and bought me my first rifle. It was the same M1 Carbine that he used in WWII. Today they run $500-$1000 we picked up this Mil.-Surplus one for about $50 so I grew up loveing pawn shop's and regularly used to visit each pay day! My Dad hated them because he saw them as being overly opertunisitc and profiting from other's hardship's and desperation.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you remember his name? Sounds like the principal trumpet with the NC Symphony. Paul Randell.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I asked my wife and neither one of us could come up with a name. I would expect that he is in at least his mid-60's by now. He was a very nice gentleman and one of the nicest people we ever met. I do know that he was raised in New Orleans.

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You see some really un-orthadox thinking in New Orleans which is fine by me because I general hate following the crowd and a bunch of lemmings rush towards a cliff any ways! If make you rounds in New Orleans to various blues and jazz clubs you will see a rather ecclectic mix of New,Old and just out of lace looking instrument's. When my best friend and I make our way down their each year for Madi Gra we see a lot of Vega. Olds Ambasadors, French Besson's and French Besson CLones from long ago as well as the the new stuff from Schilke and the like. A lot of customized student horns that have that taylor like look. I love Jazz but but I also like some blues every now and again. I also like the big band and rag time stuff you get to hear around that time of year... Musicaly it has to be the most diverse place in the USA people owe it themselfs to hit New Orleans just as much as Chicago and Ney York!!! If ever their was musical melting pot it is their!!! I have to admit the last two year's we have gone to Vegas and Florida instead.