What Monette horn do you recomend as a "first Monette&q

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Fusion2002, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    I'm always debating about equiptment, and I've started to grow on to the Monette concepts.... anyhow, You have a lot of experience with the Monette horns, which do you recomend for someone just starting the monette experience?

Also, I love hearing your cool stories, can you tell us about your first Monette experience?

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hi, not Manny but working 3rd shift in downtown Mpls and saw your post. I do not play a Monette horn. But if your thinking of investing in a Monette I would highly recommend filling out there questionare http://www.monette.net/newsite/questionnaire.htm as throughly as you can...I think that would point you in the right direction towards your first Monette horn. ;-)

3. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    I too, am not Manny, but I can tell you that there are probably several models which could be the right one for you, but I don't think there is such thing as a "starter" monette trumpet. They are the pinnacle of trumpet artistry in manufacturing, quality, design, and product. Depending on your specific needs, you could be a candidate for virtually any of their fine instruments. I will say that the higher end Raja's and Shakti's are supposed to be less forgiving? I might be wrong there, but my first experience with a Monette was on a Raja Samadhi, and it nailed my Bach to the cross in every way.

If there was ever a "starter" Monette horn, look into the LT models, which sound and play more like a conventional trumpet, but still give you the response and intonation that makes Monette the best horn ever. I am excited about Mark Isham's LT jazz model, personally :)

V/R
    Joshua

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is a cut and paste from the Monette site.

149XL Bb and 61X C Trumpets
    Features:

Excellent entry-level instruments.
    Rich, full sound.
    Secure response.
    Our lowest-priced instruments.
    New, updated 5 1/8" diameter bell.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What one's first horn form Dave is less important than the overall playing approach one has. A player who plays down the middle, has a strong embouchure, and has a tendency to hear a sound with lots of fundamental can play just about any of Dave's horns with little or no acclimation time.

If you're used to playing with a tight gut and squeeze when you exhale, if your concept of sound is very narrow and laser beamish, if you don't hear notes before you play them, if you stand/sit in a less-than-optimal way the acclimation time is longer if not downright impossible. Playing a Monette horn corrects nothing without a player's involvement. That's why many people will pick one of his horns up and play it and hate it instantly. Some folks pick it up and hear a potential. Others pick it up and love it instantly.

My road with those horns is unique because I've played through virtually every permutation he's gone through since 1984 when I got my first one. As they changed I had to change because the payoff of sound was what I wanted. I finally reached a point where I had to get help from Arnold Jacobs. He made me aware of tightnesses in my aproach that were masked by conventional equipment. I had, therefore, a choice; go back to conventional equipment or learn to use my body more efficiently. Obviously I learned to use my body better. Between that and learning some Alexander Technique stuff I felt like a kid again. I've also settled on a sound that I like very well. Some folks don't like it and that's fine as long as I'm happy and the music director is happy. No complaints from any of the ones I've played for, not yet, anyways. My advice is to start with a mouthpiece and see how that goes.

It's all about the horn in your hand and the horn in your head.

ML

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Tom,
    I really don't think there's such a thing as a "starter" Monette. For one thing, they're just so dang expensive that you should really go into it saying "I'm about to spend a lot of money on an instrument that will be the last one I ever buy" (or last C trumpet I ever buy, in my case).
    My recommendation is to call up Monette and ask to speak to Tom Rainey. I had several conversations with Tom over the course of a few years before I got my horn and it really helped me feel like I was making a well informed discussion. Tom is a great guy, and he won't try to pressure you (their waitlist is always astronomically long, so why would he need to?).
    You could also go the used route. You could probably find one on thompsonmusic.com that would be a little cheaper than a new instrument and retain its resale value better so that when you can get your money back when you finally decide to get one from the shop.
    Hope this helps,
    Jimi

7. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Since Monettes cost so much dough it would be in your best interest to spend just a little more money to go to the shop, play all the models, and spend some time with the guys there. I hear they're great to work with. I've bought horns blind before and had mixed results. There's no way I'd buy a Monette without going to the shop and checking out my options. How you you feel if you got a 937 when a 933 matched you better?

Unless, of course, you just won the Power Ball. Then you can do whatever the heck you want. :lol:

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Great points Manny! I thought I would toss a comment out there regarding conventional horns as opposed to Dave's. You said that at one point that you went to Arnold Jacobs and he helped you to uncover an aspect of your physical approach that was masked by conventional horns, and my comment is along those lines.

At one point I made an to learn to incorporate many of Dave's body alignment concepts in my own playing on my conventional horns and the change those things can make is pretty dramatic, even on a conventional horn.

To the original poster, if I ever go the route of acquiring one of Dave's horns, I'll get the 2000LT - I think that it would be a good match for the playing I do.

9. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    The PRANA XLT Bb LEAD TRUMPET is all I want!

10. JazzBird

JazzBird New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    I would say a good first Monette is the one that plays and sounds best to you. In other words you reeeeally have to try them to know the answer.

I would HIGHLY recommend a visit to their shop if you are seriously considering one. Even if you don't buy one...it is a great experience to go for a day.

Personally I was hooked after about 30 seconds with the Prana 3...it was like magic :-)