What Mouthpiece for a Beginning?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rimshot, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    OK, if you were about to start a 6th grader beginner, a rather large and robust one, who shows moderate but not burning interest, what mouthpiece would give him? Or what criteria would you use to decide on a mouthpiece?

I've never read a really satisfactory reply to this question (at least satisfactory to me). Is there a better idea than, well, you know what? Let's also assume one is willing to spend a little extra, but not bet the farm at this point, monnetarily speaking...

Is this less important than I think? More important...?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Unlike many people, I advocate the largest mouthpiece a student can play comfortably and with a clear sound.

It would be nice if mouthpiece could fit around the lips the way shoes wrap around our feet. Since they don't you have to go by the clearest sound a beginner can produce. They extend that sound as they develop if they are talented enough.

If a beginner can play a nice-sounding low C and middle G with a certain
    mouthpiece, then all you have to do is compare mouthpieces that are in the same size neighborhood and use your professional, discerning ear to guide the student. If you're looking for a size, brand, etc. that's up to you and the child's budget.

ML