What Mouthpiece should i use next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 25, 2012.

1. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Right now i am currently using a Blessing 3C Mouthpiece, i have used a bach 3C also before. The first size is used was a 7C Mouthpiece and didn't switch until about my Freshman year in high school. I am a JR. And i have been using a 3C for about 2 Years now. Any suggestions of what i should be using after or at the end of High School?

2. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    MY BAD! I just put this in the incorrect fourm! I wasn't thinking before i posted again! :dontknow:

But answers i would still appreciate!

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Who said you have to switch mouthpieces after high school????

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Actually DC, I know this REALLY good mouthpiece he should try. It is a Blessing 3C. Ever heard of it?

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks like it's batslap time...:lol:

[​IMG]

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Change mouthpiece as little as possible.
    I think Dale above makes a strong point :lol:

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Honestly, unless you know EXACTLY WHY you are switching, I wouldn't advise switching. Many of us have been playing for many, many years, and we use all different types of mouthpieces, but for the most part we know EXACTLY WHY we use them- even if it took a few safaris to figure out what exactly works best.

So, I would advise you don't switch right now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Have a look at the suggestions on a purchase thread for some good chat about changing mouthpiece. My advice "If it ain't baroque don't fix it"

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ditto. You switch for a reason -- usually the mouthpiece doesn't match the job you need it to do, or doesn't produce the sound you want. Sometimes these are intertwined, sometimes people prefer to just alter their sound with their face. Regardless, I would advise against switching around mouthpieces too much before your chops mature more, UNLESS you are experiencing a clear issue with what you have.

IF you do need to switch, I would find someone knowledgeable (not a fellow high-schooler), preferably a teacher, that can help you with selection of a mouthpiece appropriate for you and the style of playing/music you need it for.

Most players start and end on a 3C, btw. Not suggesting that it is all anyone could ever want, but you probably need to do your time on it before really getting into the nitty gritty of mouthpieces.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure much more needs to be written bout this topic, but I will share the following, perhaps young Brian will find it helpful. When I started my comeback over fifteen months ago, I worked through several mouthpieces as I was reminded about things concerning mouthpieces that I once knew. As I proceeded, I listened carefully to myself while playing and on recordings. Clean articulation, tone quality, responsiveness, and comfort were my primary concerns. After much experimentation, I settled on a Blessing 3C.
    Jim