What mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Darktrumpeter, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Darktrumpeter

Darktrumpeter Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    NJ, USA
    i currently play a Bach Megatone 5c but am looking for a bigger mouthpiece. It seems that the Bach 1 1/2c is a pretty good mouthpiece but would like any suggestions

2. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Bill has a good suggestion.

But if you don't like the GR pieces (some don't) or if you don't want to spend that amount of money, there are a couple of less expensive routes.

If you want to try a 1 1/2 for inexpensive, try a Kelly. Less that $18 for TM members ($18 is the MAP).

A Bach 1 1/2 would only cost about $35 give or take.

I sell the Fokus mouthpieces. You can get a 1 1/2 in five different cup depths for a special TM price.

NOBODY give more information than GR. Nobody works with the fine details like GR (although on a smaller scale, I think Lowell has done a wonderful job with the Fokus line). But it comes a somewhat of a price.

Jim

4. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    No body can really tell you what mouthpiece you need based on the information you gave. You asked about a Bach 1 1/2C, and that happens to be an excellent mouthpiece in my opinion. I played one for years. But that doesn't mean it is the right mouthpiece for you.

You can get one from WoodWind and Brass Wind, which has a 45 day return period, and see if you like it. The advice above about checking with GR is also excellent advice. I play GR mouthpieces and like them very much. Those folks can help you find a piece that you will be satisfied with. But there is a big difference in price between a Bach and a GR. If you want to check out the Bach first, I'd contact WWBW. Then if it wasn't what I wanted, I'd send it back and call Bruce Lee at Northern Brass (a GR dealer and very knowledgable).

5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, the Bach 1 1/2C is a good mouthpiece, but it is not a good mouthpiece for every person who players trumpet. It has, I think, a softer or less sharp edge than some of the other pieces, which may give the illusion of a smaller diameter than the 1C or 1 1/4C. To me, it feels a little bigger than a 3C, but not a lot. Yet, it measures quite a bit different. I prefer a 3C. Yet, I have heard some people say that the 5C is actually bigger than a 3C, but the 3C measures larger. Go figure!

There are several bigger mouthpieces than a 5C, but you must watch out if you simply rely on "measured" specifications. The "feel" of the mouthpiece can be affected by the rim shape and contour.

Anything with a measured diameter bigger than the 5C should be bigger. Sounds obvious, but you may find that feel and the measurements may be quite confusing. As has been suggested, it is almost necessary to be able to test different mouthpieces in order to get the best feel and fit.

Going by measurement alone can very likely produce disappointing results.

You don't have to sell the farm to find a good mouthpiece, IMO. But, you may need to experiment some...