What mouthpieces do "minor" companies model from?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by soontir2432, Jan 23, 2005.

1. soontir2432

soontir2432 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    Many companies mainly specialize in instruments and their mouthpiece lines are just copied from other companies (I presume Bach) and I was wondering what they were.

I have a few pieces from Benge and Blessing that I own and I wonder where they came from. Then there are also other manufactures that we don't hear a lot about like Conn mouthpieces (which is sold by MPCExpress exclusively on eBay it seems), Holton and various other manufacturers.

Does anyone know what they are model/s after? If it is Bach, then which era are they from?

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The FAXX and Kelly mouthpieces are copies of Mt. Vernon era Bachs. I would guess Blessing and any generic mouthpiece is a copy of a modern Bach (in size, not that much different than Mt. Vernons).

Selmer-Bach has really done the trumpet world a disservice. The Bach mouthpieces are not produced at the published specs. So what Bach says they are and what the measure at are two different things. (see the mpc chart in my signature).

So when a company says that make a Bach size mouthpiece, is it as measured or relative to the specs? :?:

Jim

3. soontir2432

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    I assume the Mt. Vernon are more closer to the specs that Bach is posting than the new ones so, I guess it was a good idea to give my friend a Blessing then a Fax(X). ;-) (this smilie needs to smile!) As he had use a Revere piece before.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Nope -- the Mt. Vernons varied widely. The new ones are not made to the published specs. That is the frustrating part. Why publish specs and then not make your mouthpieces to the specs? It is crazy. :stars:

Jim

5. soontir2432

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    :lol: So for all I know, my friend may have a completely different mouthpiece. Gosh, this is crazy. :think: :soap:

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    This situation is terrible ... and in view of all these discrepancies, I would hope the manufacturers could collectively come-up with a meaningful system of measurements and nomenclature for us, the consumers. For the most part, other than metric vs SAE, the rest of the known world has adopted systems of sizing and measurements that endeavor to aid the consumer. Imagine if tire makers all had their own separate sets of sizes.
    Mouthpiece manufacturers often have special and unique cup and rim profiles, but there should be some agreement as to relative sizing. Did you ever try to compare a Rudy Much to an Al Cass mouthpiece? LOL.
    Thanks, a heck-of-a-lot, folks!
    I posted a similar complaint on another forum, and I got some moronic responses from those that apparently have nothing better to do than memorize mouthpiece specifications ... "mouthpiece Geeks!" ... (Get a life!!!). Their "Day Jobs" are probably things like Actuarians, Statisticians, Accountants, and that ilk ... what great excitement!!

Oh, wellll ... I think I need a drink ....

Robert Rowe

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Robert, you need to read through the GR mouthpieces website http://www.grmouthpieces.com as well as check out the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator.

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    OK, Ed .. but,... Good Grief! Another "Rubic's Cube", or ersatz compendium of "factual data" (scientific & otherwise).
    I'm inclined to comment, "Yada, yada, yada..." but I won't, because I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Before this is over, I'll probably be contemplating the "Alpha Angle" of my sphincter muscles.

...until I read all this (I don't have the time right now, but I do have the inclination)....
    ..."time will tell ...."

Robert Rowe

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And that is exactly why (ahem) terds are tapered... so your spincter doesn't shut with a clang! It's all in the alpha angle.

:twisted:

In some seriousness, however... GR HAS listed their mouthpieces by precise dimensions including such ersatz information as cup volume, inner rim diameter and other quantifiable measurements. And the folks at Kanstul have also provided a means (although it seems to be less than perfectly precise...likely due to some internet limitations) of comparing different mouthpieces with the old standby, Bach.

( a satisfied user of GR/Sparx mouthpieces )