what muscles do you believe you use while playing in your higher register?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Nov 7, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :D

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    So, I was right! Which is a relief.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What I like about Zen is that it has the ability to turn our brains 180 degrees around. When we breathe in, yeah the diaphragm thingy drops down and all that, lowering the air pressure in our lungs. Air, by its fluid nature, does what it wants, and one of the things it likes to do is to equalize air pressure. If we "try" breathing in we can add a bunch of unnecessary tension and the air meets resistance, doesn't get to do its job, and our body lies to us, saying something like "I put in a bunch of effort, ergo my lungs are full." (I dunno, for some reason my body likes to speak Latin.) To avoid that body talk is where I find Zen useful. The air breathes us. We drop our diaphragm and the air in the room says something like "Cool, some empty space to fill!" and rushes in, elbowing each other out of the way and fights itself into our lungs. Totally cool, we perform one simple voluntary action, and the air does all the work, like "Hey guys, VB's lungs are a bit empty; let's go pay them a visit!"

Time to toss the good 'ol Vulgano "RAY OF POWER" into the ring again.

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Ray of Power version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

My brain has plenty to do while playing--lowering thirds 14 cents, raising fifths 2 while constantly adjusting to the principal players, starting and ending notes within 11 milliseconds of the beat--jeez, that is hard stuff, and to be consciously concerned with breathing at the same time and make music while having my neurotransmitters already out of whack....

That is why I like the RAY OF POWER, because it is an ancillary concept, I let the air breathe me and the music play me.

Then again, I'm fresh from the funny farm.

Have fun!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah -- and that means you are good to go for quite awhile!!!!!!!! play and be happy!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    it's the rest of us out here --who pass by the farm and LAUGH, thinking that we are making the farm funny, when in reality we are in denial that the funny farm exists ---- then again, some of us may laugh at the farm, but think the farm is laughing back at us!!!!! it's weird to be like this!!!! but then again, maybe that is OK!!

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Funnily enough one fo my two favourite singing teachers used to talk about engaging the toilet muscles when singing, often with a slightly embarassed smile. I use them when playing especially when sight reding in the middle of a gig, could be a different reason for that

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So I guess the saying should be... It isn't over until the fat lady wipes?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no - you missed his point --- it must be like this --- YOU know you are using the correct muscles in hitting high notes when the "Sh## hits the fan" --- yeah, By George (of England) I think I got it!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Herbie van Tetering

Herbie van Tetering New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Berlin
    The muscles you use when you play the high register eventually form over many years and depends on what type of player you are. Some important techniques in playing registers are Maggio (pucker face), Callet (aperture down), Smileys (balanced embouchure) and Elias (buzz system). You use all your muscles to play high register including your neck muscles and your lungs. High notes can be played with the side muscles and the lip muscles. Your lip muscles and lower chin muscles interconnect and loosen more to form a more complete embouchure over time. The higher you play, the looser the interconnections with you jaw become and the more your muscles will grow. Your jaw muscle plays an important role in supporting you to play the high notes.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ****disclaimer***** consuming large amount of candy often referred to as JAWBREAKERS, do not rebuild muscles in your jaw, and inherently give you excess amount of sugar intake --- consuming JAWBREAKERS does not aid in proficient playing of the trumpet, in any way, shape, or form!!******* ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Remind me not to bring any fans to yer'all's concerts..