what mute to use

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 28, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I would like to know what is the best mute to use when backing up vocalists in church. In the past you all have been so generous with your advice. I'm hoping you might be able to help me out here.

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Something mellow, like a cup or bucket.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My jazz trio someplays plays with an acoustic setup (trumpet, acoustic guitar, and upright bass with no amps). In this setting, I need to play softer, and use either my JoRal straight mute or my Soulo mute. If I want the cleanest trumpet sound with a mute in, I go with the straight mute. If I want something with a little darker/mellower, I go with the Soulo. The cup mute or bucket mute suggestions are good, too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I guess the cup mute is the way to go. Thanks! Now I just have to come up with some background music. I hope I'm not getting in over my head. Sure don"t want to ruin the vocalists performance. Such pretty hymns.

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I love the bucket mute atm, it seems to take the 'sting' out of your sound and its great for mellow jazz stuff, try it? might work, I dont really like the sound of a cup on its own, just doesnt sound right to me..... or try a harmon, thats always quite nice, or just use a cornet..... :p

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah use a cornet, they rule.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Use a cornet with a Crown Royal bag over the bell...

Really. Another guy and I are using them in church in a couple weeks. It really mellows out the sound without sounding like a mute. I'll probably make sure the label doesn't show, though....:lol:

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have turned my CR bag inside out at church many times. Then, I had my wife sew up a copy of the CR bag from plain grey flannel. That way the old 'blue noses' have nothing to gripe about.

OLDLOU>>

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I haven't tried the bags yet, but I vote for cornet or trumpet with cup mute, depending on the vocalist or group.