What Next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 23, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    What would be more helpful for trumpeting career and collection?
    (I am NOT totally buying this one NOW its just to keep in mind for the next couple of years.)

1.Bach NY Strad
    2.Bach Mt.V NY Strad
    3.Scherzer C Rotary
    4.Scherzer Bb Piccolo
    5.Bach Strad Cornet
    6. Rotary valve Trombone (Sorry its just a red-haired cousin.... :D)

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    What kind of trumpet job? The horn is really the small part to being a pro! For collecting? Probably all of them. You've now a couple good horns so maybe just try to enjoy those for a while. How's that Connie play compared to other cornets

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you want to make a career playing trumpet then you cannot go wrong with a modern Strad 37. Keep in mind a Mt Vernon is at least 50 years old and difficult and expensive to get a pristine one.

For collecting anything goes, whatever you fancy, a bit of everything, rotaries, cornets specific brands. I started 15 years ago to collect French Selmers, have 16, the prices went out of my limit so I expanded my collection with examples from major manufacturers aquired much cheaper.

Trumpets, a couple of each Alexander, Bach, Conn, Getzen, Holton, King,Olds, Reynolds, Selmer, plus odds, Eclipse, Schweidi, Beaugnier, Buffet-Crampon, Besson, most in good playing condition, some being restored.

Cornets, Selmer, Conn, Olds, Besson, Boosey.

French Horns, Selmer, Alexander, Sterling.

Other, Mellophonium, Frumpet, Kulohorn, C Valve trombone.

Regards, Stuart.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    1. Bach NY Strad - NO
    2. Bach Mt.V NY Strad - NO
    3. Scherzer C Rotary - NO
    4. Scherzer Bb Piccolo - NO
    5. Bach Strad Cornet - Maybe
    6. Rotary Valve Trombone - NO

I get that you are "into" this, and that's cool, but I don't see anything on that list as a "must have" for any trumpet player, with maybe the exception of the cornet if you want to get involved in brass band, and not specifically a Bach Stradivarius cornet - just a cornet of good quality.

I was a bit like you at one point. I had a C trumpet, I had a pic, I was looking for an Eb/D trumpet, I had a few Bbs, one of which was supposedly a Mt Vernon. Ultimately I found a couple of truths when it came to my endeavors as a player:

1.) Even though I had multiple Bb trumpets, invariably I always gravitated toward the one that I felt played and sounded the best, (not the Mt. Vernon) so the others went unused.

2.) The trumpets in other keys got very little use - they mostly sat in the case. Even with the C trumpet, I used it now and again when I got a part that was specifically in C, but as often as not I'd transpose for Bb so that I only had to take one horn because my best Bb was markedly better than my C.

Eventually I sold everything and invested in a single brand new Bb trumpet. I have gone for the better part of 20 years only owning Bb trumpets and a flugelhorn, (because that's what I actually gig with) and at one point I didn't even have a backup trumpet - I just had the one. At this point I am doing more legit gigging, and I feel that a C trumpet might come in handy from time to time - I'm probably going to get a Tromba. It will suffice for no more than I'd use it. I'm also probably never going to own another pic. I had a very hard time transitioning back and forth from that and Bb, but I do think I could find some good use for an Eb/D.

Anyway, let's suppose you do wind up with a NY Bach, or a Mount Vernon Bach. There's absolutely no guarantee that they will be any better than your non-vintage instrument, and may not play as well. If you want to be a collector, fine - collect away, but if you are looking at these as investments for a future career performing, save your money and invest in newer, proven brands and designs, and really dig in to get to intimately know your main trumpet, which right now should be your B&S Challenger 3137-L.

That's just my thought based on my own experience. Obviously experiences vary, but that's what worked for me over almost 30 years since I started to gig.

Dennis78 likes this.
  5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Honestly it seems to boil down to a horn you trust. I'm not a pro but I do play and collect. I love my Holton's but I actually play a Blessing on a regular basis because overall it is my best performing all around horn

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Actually know a guy who plays and gigs a NY Bach Strad, but not because he found it and decided he liked how that vintage horn felt. In his case, he got that horn early in his life when he was coming up as a player, and it's been THE horn he's gigged all that time. It has had tons of work done to it over the years - it has patches brazed on it, the valves have been redone a couple of times....it's definitely been used!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It may actually all boil down to a bigger living space or knowing a great interior designer for designing storage space. :cool:

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I will make a review soon, but oh boy, Connie was a heck of a buy! Great sound, large horn, real gig horn and a streamin jazz lead horn too!
    :D I was really happy at my jazz orchestra rehearsal, my chair next to me was going "wow, what horn is that??'. I love it!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that the horns find us. To be honest, I see it like this:

At least 1 Bach Bb or C trumpet of any vintage. That core in the sound should be part of any trumpeters palette. (I have a C from 1973)
    A softer sounding Bb with less core than the Bach. This could be a heavier Getzen, Olds, Martin or Selmer trumpet (I have a Prana3 Monette from 2007)
    A more brilliant sounding Bb than the Bach. This could be a Schilke, Callicchio, Benge, Selmer or Yamaha 6xxx/8xxx Shew model (I sold my Bach 72* but borrow a Yamaha 6xxx for lead)
    A good D/Eb trumpet - Selmer, Yamaha, or even a cut down Ambassador (I have a Selmer Radial 2° from 1973)
    A good G-trumpet. This is not so easy, but so much more intelligent than a Bb/A picc for most. It can be used in the orchestra without sounding like a laser beam or be the ultimate solution for all of Bachs C major works. (I have an Enders with a big D trumpet bell from the late 60s)
    I am tied for what picc is best. I have played great Selmers, Getzens, Kanstul, Schilke that I like as much as any Scherzer that I have played. (I have heavily modified Enders from the mid 60s))

I need to play Ivans Jaeger Trumpets. I am sure that his Jaeger37 is a real collectible/player and his web site shows some other really interesting things. The same goes for George Schlubs horns. I can envision a commission in the next couple of years for something VERY unique.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm curious about Ivan's horns as well, and in particular, the 37. I don't want a Bach - I hate the blow on current Bachs - but if I could get that sound with superior blow and intonation, that would be a beast to be reckoned with.

I used to be a big naysayer when it came to the concept of the "Bach sound," but these days I'm not so sure. When I was doing the nay-saying, I wasn't playing much classically oriented music, and I was doing very little playing in ensembles with other trumpet players. In the last year or so, I've done a bit more work with other trumpets and brass ensembles, and I miss the ease with which the Strad 37 just fit in, almost no matter what, which makes me think about finding a new one....only not a Bach. :D

bumblebee likes this.