What Next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I don't think you need to worry about any of this right now. Now, it's time to PRACTICE!!!! Gtt better at the instrument. You don't need a new one, you have plenty of good horns. Your focus should be on your playing.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well said!

3. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Do yourself a favor and play what you already have.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that this is a universally valid position. Sure, if the goal is to play at 100% of your ability, there is only one solution. There are enough lost souls however that collect for various reasons - not all musical or even realistic. Are their reasons less valid? I think not. If you have the coin and inclination, go for it. I get an attitude when the poster pretends to be something that they are not. As far as focus on playing - why? If someone is not really in to extreme playing why criticize - as long as they do not try to tell others how to solve their problems?

Those that have followed BBM closely know exactly what he is about. I think that the original post was worded "well enough".

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm not quite sure where you are going with this one. I see a HS aged kid who is really into music, playing trumpet, and all things related to trumpet, which is fine, but it's pretty easy to get distracted along the way. I've known quite a few players who might have been much better had they not gotten so wrapped up in acquiring lots and lots of hardware of all shapes and sizes - horns, mouthpiece, mutes, bags, vintage horns, horns in various keys, weighted valve caps, etc ad nauseum.

I agree - whatever a person choose to do is certainly on them, and whatever they choose to do is ok. However, those choices may not be conducive to actually playing well. I think that's all anyone is trying to say here.

I think we've all been through GAS to some degree. I know I was in my early to mid 20s when I actually had a bit of money to do so, but by then I was already established in my military music career because I didn't get distracted when it counted, at least from a playing perspective.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A Hammond B-3. It will complete you.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    With a Leslie speaker!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User