What Next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 23, 2016.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You might ask rjereb to do a trumpet staricase for you - he just built made-to-measure velvet-lined drawers into his home's main staircase to house his hooters (a 1950's vintage unnamed octagonal bell trumpet and an LA Olds Ambassador cornet be got off me).

3. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Actually, what I wants next is to win the lottery. That way, I could have toys made.

For example- most of you are far too young to know who Gerard Hoffnung was, but he was a tubist, cartoonist, and humorist. He had a massive CCC subcontrabass tuba made, and it's still around. Here's a photo of a young guy playing it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_d0-VZr-0L.../o5rxFmCDIdo/s1600/n9427377_33942880_7606.jpg

I would have 4 built for brass-band use: 2 in BBBb and 2 in EEEb. Finding the players would be the big challenge. You need guys with a unique physique: an enormous head with a huge, ponderous face. Gigantic lung capacity. Kind of like Gerard Hoffnung himself.

Bobo had himself built a bass "French" horn that by all accounts is a fine player.

My idea of a good brass concert is patrons coming away spitting out fillings.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    The Graslitz saxophone that resides in the Grassi Museum in Leipzig and Votruba in Vienna both are twins! They are pretty huge.

6. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

The Leipzig museum has a great collection of antique brasswinds, including a Stolzel valve tenor flugelhorn made by Johan Joseph Schneider.

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Also a very nice selection of scherzer fanfares, windisch d And yeah I want to grab it out and play it!

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Probably
    rotary
    action
    cornets,
    TARV trumpets,
    Indiana-made horns, no
    Chinese junk, possibly an
    Echo cornet.

And now read the first letters downward and act upon it!

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I don't know who you think you're talking to, but I've been a professional player and educator since the early 1970's.

The "Chinese junk" thing is a myth. They're good student-model, entry-level professional horns for the most part. About on a par with Olds Ambassador trumpets of the early 1950's. For the price and what you get, they're well-worth the money.

For a pro horn, the last place I'd look is Indiana.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Having never played an Olds Ambassador I can't comment on that. What I can say is that the two Chinese horns I have are ok! Nowhere near as good as my early '50's Collegiate! Not even close, even my mid '60s Collegiate cornet is better.
    Since this thread seems to have moved more to a wish list I'll say
    Bach Strad long cornet
    King Master model
    Conn 5A or similar Connquest
    I like the idea of a fluge, but I just don't see it