What Next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 23, 2016.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I vote for a new(er) Schilke B3L. But first, a good REAL cornet. That Stomvi Brass Band looks sick. The main tuning slide trigger is what tickles my fancy.

In between now and then, practice your butt off, start a brass quintet or quartet and start gigging at weddings and other stately events to get introduced to true musicians' life instead of having the structure and certainty of academia.

Oh, has anyone mentioned to practice your butt off yet?

2. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

You know, ever since the 70's, when Bach was producing some execrable horns, I've been gun-shy of buying Bach horns. My soprano was made in the 50's, and is a fine instrument, but Ken Hopkins and Ross Armstrong ordered brand-new Bach Strad C's back in the early 70's, to replace their old ones, and sent the new horns straight back because they were out-of-tune junk. Absolutely wretched horns. After that, they and Len Whitely held on to their old Bach C's like grim death.

I tried their alto trombone back in the 90's, and the Conn Eb/Bb, and was unimpressed with both. The Conn was damned expensive, too. All of the Bach cornets I've found to be underwhelming. I play a Getzen Eterna, which is a very nice horn, and came with a sweet mouthpiece.

3. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    Yes, (Elkhart) Bachs, Martins, (Elkhart) Conns, Bueschers, and Couturiers are all non-pro level.
    Right.

tobylou8 likes this.
  4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I've played a lot of bad Bachs and Conns- trumpets, cornets and trombones. I've never come across a Buescher or a Couturier here in Canada. I've seen maybe two Martins in my life, and that was back in the 70s.

The alto trombones by Bach and Conn I've tried were pretty much average student-model quality.

Conn trombones are a matter of taste. Some guys like 'em. Other like me aren't impressed. Too thick metal, too hard an alloy, an unpleasant harsh core at the centre of the sound.

That's a common complaint about most American-made brass instruments, by the way.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    How they are marketed and how they play are different things. I've been to a couple of trumpet shows/events in recent years and took a test drive of Bach's offerings they had on the tables there. There wasn't a single horn in the bunch I would have paid money for. None of them played well. I realize that there's more that comes out of Indiana than Bach, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think "Indiana" and in particular, "Elkhart." I wanted to like them too, but there was just something about them that didn't work for me. It's not even the design either - I played horns on Ken Larson's table that were astonishingly good - a bit pricey for me, but definitely players. I also played Schilkes, Shires, Yamahas and even Carols at these shows that were head and shoulders above the Bachs I tried. Maybe that's just me, but I understand completely where gsmonks is coming from.

I've played some Conn V1s that were nice, and I suppose that Martins should be considered, but are we talking about finding a vintage horn, or just a good playing horn out of Indiana? My original Strad, (ML/37) circa 1983/84 (purchased in 1984) was a decent trumpet. I did a ton of playing on that horn, and it was like an old friend for over a decade. I also owned a LB/25 that was very good that was made in the 1995/96 range, (purchased in 1996) but anything newer just seems like it was phoned in. It's still the same basic design, but I don't get the feeling that there's a higher level of craftsmanship on a Stradivarius than there is on say a TR200.

6. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    I was talking vintage when I said that, mainly as I try to ignore that Conn-Selmer exists sometimes. (Specifically about Connstellations, Committees, 400s, Bachs like the 25 you mentioned, et al.)
    Even then, there are still bad horns from that era, though.
    EDIT: Meanwhile, I get to see a Mt. Vernon Bach Trumpet at Southeastern as life tries to show me pre-Elkhart Bachs and never let me be able to play them.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pre-Elkhardt Bachs are mostly good. Early Elkhardts are consistently good. After that, I've heard everything from they suck to best horn EVER!!! You really have to play them.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    gsmonks closes his eyes and then hits around him and hopes he will hit something hard.

BTW I played a Conn 6H trombone for almost 20 years and it was a great instrument and when I was in a section where all the others played the King 3B they were competely surprised when they play my horn,
    obviously coming from the same baseless presumption.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    The Conn Connstellation 48H should fix the problem right away! Great lookin horn and magnificant tone and sound!

10. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Where the Bach C trumpets of the early 70's was concerned, I was referring to the experiences of Ken Hopkins, Len Whitely, and Ross Armstrong, all three of them players of note. When you pass off smart-ass comments like that, you're disrespecting players like them.

If you really want to go for it, we could discuss lots of really bad horns made by Conn in the 70's, too. I'm far from alone in my experiences of and distaste for the horns in question.