What Not To Use to Remove Lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 21, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, Well normaly when I remove any type of lacquer,shelac,varnish, paint etc..... I either use Aircraft Remover my first choice since I have used it since 1988 and have lots of experince with it or ZipStrip or Ez-Strip. In that order... Now Aircraft remover starts to work almost as fast as you put it on in some cases and it is nutralized with regular water for easy clean-up. Well my Pole Barn whichis 80X80 is metal and has concrete floors, uninsulated and unheated.It is 15°F outside right now. So I am useing the basement at my Parents house to strip my son's trumpet. So I went with a newer product that is suppossedly more environmentaly friendly and has no foul odors or vapors etc..... It is called Citri-Strip and it smells like orange oil but has the consistency of say hair conditioner. It says the product can take 30 minutes to 12 hours to work. Well after 3 hours and 37 minutes I can tell you that it has not softened the lacquer on myson's old Holton 602 at all. In fact I would say that it has done less then brite dip would have done in this amount of time!!!LOL

I have stronger stuff that I brought in from outside so it could thaw out. Now the citri strip clearly states that Lacquer is one of the things it strips right on the front label. I am prepared to take it back tomorrow if it does not work. I am all for low odor and more environmentaly friendly but what is the point if it does not work at least as good as the old toxic stuff??? The stuff is not cheap either enough to do two or three trumpets will cost you $9. This will make the second of third time I have tried somethign that is supposed to be more friendly to the environment that has not delivered as promised results!Lacquer is fairly easy coating to disolve and or soften it is not that chemical resistant as far as coatings go!

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Ferree's sells a lacquer remover called Cold Strip. While it is a mild acid it does not have a strong oder. takes 6 minutes to strip the lacquer and rinses off with water. I use the brush on type.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Where can I buy this?

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I normaly do not have a problem with removeing stuff I just try to use something a bit more earth friendly and low odor and am dissapointed. To be honest I figured it would not work because I am used to most of the really good stuff being toxic as heck!!!LOL I even applied another coat as so much of it had ran off of it. So I am going to take it back tomorrow and get my money back! It has been on their for 6.5 hours now and it just like I had not put anything on it!!LOL I am thinking of useing Ferree's non backing lacquer in clear if the trumpet is too high of maintence raw.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some trumpets have epoxy coatings that are very resistant to removal. It is not necessarily the fault of the stripper. It could just be the knowledge base of the person applying...........................

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well ROWUK even a moron can apply stripper and follow the very simply instruction. I took it back today and went with Aircraft remover which always works to remove all sprayon finish's includeing most electro-stacticly applied primers as used byt he auto-industry and some aircraft manufactures. I sprayed it on and 10 minutes latter it was ready to come off. In fact 4 part instructions even said that most finish's are softened or blistered in 5-10 minutes but some might require as long as 30 minutes.

So some products work as advertised despite the intelligence of the user or the forum moderator with a chip on his shoulder!!! In fact ROWUK even you could use AIrCraft Remover and make it work.

I will also say that normaly when I use Aircraft Remover I use the liquid in the gallon jug since Ihave used that since 1988. The U.S. Army used to provide it for us in Germany. This time I used the spray can. It was different fromt he liquid in that it comes out as a non-drip foam. It had no odor at all that I could smell but peoples sense of smell varies greatly. It even ate most of the externaly visable red rot off the surface of the metal. SInce coating formulations can vary I would recomend letting it sit for 1 hour to make sure it has done it's job. I tested it for one hour on the inside of the second valve slide and it did not hurt it in any way and made getting the inside crook perfectly clean easy! It did not attack the metal at all. It can rinsed with water or solvent when done. I found that in many cases useing a shower head with hot water elimanated any need to use a scotch bright pad.

So ROWUK specificly what companies use Epoxy coatings instead of lacquer on their trumpet's??? I will place a call to determine if you are accurate. This is part of the "Put your money where you mouth is?" Oh and "I herby give you an "INFRACTION" for me mean spirited, slanderious in you statement about the user's intelligence. I further think you are useing duragatory language and directing an insult at a fellow member! Funny though the "rules only apply" when you say they apply and to whom you say they apply???? You remind me of the little kid with the soccer ball in the play ground when he does not get his way he just changes the rules or only applies them to those he does like!!!!!!

I too use Epoxy coatings and they are a little bit harder to remove but not that much harder if the stripper is of a cometent formulation. If a stripper claims to remove Lacquer though and fails to that is preety much false advertiseing and poorly engineer product!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Steady! Steady! (Thinks: Methinks he doth protest too much - just to paraphrase Willie Waggle Dagger) ROFL

8. Don Christensen

Don Christensen Pianissimo User

May 16, 2007
    ed

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    lovevixen - chill a bit. ROWUK did not intend to insult. A remark about a lack of knowledge is not the same as one questioning intelligence. Intelligent folk can be ignorant, and knowledgeable folk may not be too bright.

Best to not read in more than is written, nor between the lines. ROWUK is not mean-spirited, that I have ever seen. Maybe somewhat terse, but that's a style thing. He will likely respond with a list of epoxy users.

This is not a post in his defense. He doesn't need my help. But I advise you against flying off the handle so quickly. We're all in this together, to learn from each other, and one thing we learn is to take time to process and be slow to react. Your response was not very kind, and way out of proportion to your perception of his comment. That is how flame wars get started. So don't escalate; deliberate. Trumpet players need a thick skin.
    veery

10. Jim J

Jim J New Friend

Oct 7, 2008
    I've been on forums since they started (Prodigy etc.) You don't need to read between the lines to know rowuk was stroking him. If not, you wouldn't be using ................ But.... I also think 555 could have used a bit more sly wit to stroke him back rather than the response he used, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008