What Piccolo Trumpet Should I Buy???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ButlerBandgeek8, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ButlerBandgeek8

ButlerBandgeek8 New Friend

Jan 21, 2010
    Butler, Pa
    I'm in the market for a new pccolo trumpet. This is my first time buying a piccolo and I dont know what I should look for and which one I should buy on my limited budget. After researching piccolo trumpets, I have found 3 models that I'm interested in:

Bach 196 Stradivarius
    Getzen Eterna 940
    Yamaha 6810S

Right now, I'm thinking about the yamaha. Does anyone know what pic. I should buy? Does anyone own one of these models? Any suggestions?:play:

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Schilke has some really nice piccs.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's going down to sound and feel that you are looking into. Bach has never been notorious for making good piccs, though I have read good things about their latest model, but never had the chance to play it. Schilke P5-4 is a well established and accepted picc - it is excellent, and if it feels right to you and your pocket - go for it. Otherwise I would go with the Yamaha, though I prefer better piccs with long bells.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Isnt' the Bach 196 actually built by Stomvi with some bob Reeves tweaks? It should be pretty good. Stomvi used to be a good, but less expensive alternative to the Schilke. I can vouch for the Schilke P5-4, I've owned one since about 1980, It's the only horn I have left from that time. The P7-4 is making inroads now as well. Getzen is shipping theirs now with Blackburn leadpipes, a fix one used to have to do oneself. The Yamahas all started out as Schilke designs, although they have been through several generations of modification and refinement by now. Kanstul and the Kanstul-made F. Bessons are good as well.

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    For some reason, I get along much better with F. Bessons than the famous Schilke...

6. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

7. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't confuse the Bach 196 short bell with the Bach 196 VBS Long Bell. The short bell is the old design horn that didn't have a great reputation. The Long Bell VBS 196 is the one with the Bob Reeves valve alignment. I definitely prefer the VBS 196 long bell. Try both and decide for yourself.

The Kanstul 920 pic was a great deal a few years ago. The price has since gone up, but it's still a good horn.

Whatever you decide, play it before buying!

Garry

8. ButlerBandgeek8

ButlerBandgeek8 New Friend

Jan 21, 2010
    Butler, Pa
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I've read that the bach 196 (short bell model) that I was considering does not have great reputation. I dont have the money right now to buy a more exspensive model, so I am still considering the Getzen Eterna 940 and Yamaha 6810. I'm going to a local music store to try them out, however I still think I'm going to go with the Yamaha.

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There are some excellent pro trumpeters who use the Getzen 940. One of them is Maurice Murphy and he sounds terrific on it:

So both worth a go. As you said it yourself, I would stay from the old 196 Bach model. If you have the opportunity to test a F. Besson or a Kanstul go check them out. Another thing to try is a rotary picc - schertzer, lechner or schagerl - all of them are really good. Lechner used to make model with upright rotary valves which is a very good horn, but not very popular - I have only seen one so far.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi BBgeek!

Buy one that you play well. Don't just buy one via mail-order if there's any way to avoid it. In fact, if you can buy the exact unit that you tried and liked, so much the better!

Back in 1978 when I bought mine, I played everybody's picc that I could, and actually was able to borrow a couple for a week or so. I tried them and had people listen to me on them, and pretty much got it narrowed down to the P5-4 Schilke. I'd tried Selmers and Getzens and Schilkes (oh, my!) and for me, the Schilke was the way to go.

I went to the shop (back when it was at 529 S. Wabash, Chicago), tried one there, just to confirm that they all seemed to work well for me, and ordered one. ($750 new in those days! A lot of money for a college student!) I got it a few months later, and wasn't at all disappointed!

Don't expect to be able to play it like a pro right away. It truly is a completely different instrument than a Bb or C trumpet. Even an Eb is a different beast. The more you get to try before you buy, the better able you will be to JUDGE the best picc for you!

I'd suggest staying away from those attractively priced Chinese (and ESPECIALLY those Tri-Star Indian made abominations) piccs. While some here have been lucky with them, picc is so hard to get good on, why saddle yourself with wondering if it's the horn or you?

That's MY opinion, as requested! ;-)

Guy Clark