What piece other than the Hummel was written for an E trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Aug 15, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Is there any other piece at all?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I don't know of any. The Septet is written for Eb trumpet.....I think. We read it at the Marlboro Music Festival, we never did get past the reading stage. It ain't St.Saens:roll:
    Wilmer

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I have come across a number of orchestral parts for Trumpet in E, (Hansel & Gretel, Light Cavalry and others that my brain is having trouble recalling) but I can't think of any other solos.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, I just remembered...

...isn't there a solo for trumpet in E in the Pietszche book, just before the excerpts section? Funny, the things that you think of at 5 in friggin' morning.

ML

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't know of any either other then the trumpet parts, but the instrument isn't a total waste of $. Herseth and Scarlett both used E trumpet on Beethoven 7 and I am sure there are other parts that work well on it. That could be the reason that it is usually done on Eb

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Wasn't classical pitch A=430 or so? So it's not really modern E anyway, so therefore actually modern Eb is just as close... Hmm?

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not according to Ed Tarr, Jack. He maintains that Vienna, where the Hummel was premiered, had a higher pitch that almost put it in F! My source is the Musica Rara edition that Tarr put out years ago where he makes that comment.

ML

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sam Krauss used his E trumpet for the Venusburgmusic. Sam let me play his Besson F with E slides, they should bring those horns back.
    Wilmer

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Oh right, interesting! Still makes the point that insisting it be done in the "correct" key is rather silly though.

10. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well the reason for the hummel being in E rather than Eb is for the strings. They would much rather play in E than Eb.