What piece other than the Hummel was written for an E trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    JC is right

The 2nd movement is in a very constipated sounding Ab min. if the piece is played in Eb (been there, done that). A min (open strings) sounds far more "open" and transparent (been there, done that too).

Most, sadly, never have the chance to play the Hummel with an orchestra, and a piano sounds like a piano in every key.

Check out Ghitalla's old recording in E (C trumpet) with Pierre Monteux...

Best,
    EC
    ps: for you Londoners out there, Hummel's manuscript is in the British Museum.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Vulgano Brother theory: the Hummel was written for the Eb keyed trumpet and pitched in E so the sound on the important notes would always come out one of the tone holes and not the bell. The other stuff in E was written for valved instruments (including Verdi, who wrote chromatic licks designed to embarrass any trumpeter silly enough to bring only a Bb and no pencil to sight-read at opera rehearsals*).

* Vulgano Brothers bring C trumpets and pencils to rehearsals (no erasers, though).

3. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

Trust me, when playing violin I would much rather play in Eb than in E.

For trumpet there are lots of orchestral parts for trumpet in E. Off the top of my head: Academic Festival Overture, Ride of the Valkiries, Dvorak 9, and a bunch of other stuff, I'm too far gone to remember at this time of day.

Pitch in those days was so variable as to make a mockery of anyone trying to claim it was lower or higher for the benefit of modern instruments. It was a local phenomenon, you played in Vienna, you played in one pitch. You played in Paris, you played in a completely different pitch. That was then, this is now.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    (Pssst... Clarino...

Academische Fest is for trumpet in "C"...)

ML

5. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I'll have to check the parts I have, but I'm sure at least some of it is fro trumpet in E.

Highly embarrasing if I'm wrong though.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I answered too quickly:oops: I thought the question was about solo works for E trumpet, not E trumpet in general.
    It is a common transposition, albeit a pain in the butt on the Bb trumpet. It is a must learn transposition.
    Wilmer

7. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Oops, Manny was right! I was thinking of Slavonic Dance by Dvorak. [​IMG]

8. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    The "Tocatta" movement from "Pulcinella" by Stravinsky lies perfectly on the E trumpet. Herseth used the Schilke E-F-G for that piece, using the E bell for Tocatta, the switching bells to G for the last few movements.

I own a 4 valve Schilke E-F-G trumpet, and I'd say that E trumpets are surprisingly useful. I've used mine many times in the orchestra. A few months ago I used it for the 3rd movement of the Chopin First Piano Concerto - how many players have folded playing that on Bb or C trumpet????? I have friends with the Yamaha E-Eb trumpet, which is also a very nice horn. I recently had Charlie Melk adapt a Bach 239 bell for my E trumpet, making it sound as close to a Bach C trumpet as possible.

JU

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006