What point do you switch mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Nov 11, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    rowuk, this time its not about range, I was just throwing that out there to see people opinions on it. In the end I'm not going to ever sacrifice tone or playing ability for range.

Anyway thanks for all the posts so far, I do have a private instructor, (not the best, but once I get a job I'll see if I can change that) and have only had a handfull of lessons so far, but when I first came in he told me not to switch cause at the time I had got the trumpet just the other day.

I was under the impression that as you get more advanced you want to switch to a 5c/3c and that it was better for you to go down from 7-5-3 (if you go to 3). From my understanding I thought it was supposed to be a bit harder to play on, but give more control and maybe a bit better tone overall. I just didn't know when you should judge when to switch. I suppose its on a more personal playing level, but I didn't know when the average to slightly above average player would switch after some years.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

Me too.
    When I was in Jr. High I was friends with this really good trumpet player. He was a year older than me and took lessons and played in the local youth symphony. He told me when your good, you go bigger, so I did.

He sold me his old 3C. I can't remember what happened when I switched. I think my sound got a little better. My friend told me, look at all the pro famous symphony guys. They all have big mouthpieces. After a while I wanted to be better so I bought his old 2C. I played on a 2C for many years.

Years later when I really knew what I was doing I started playing really hard. I was having some trouble with the 2C so, I went to the music store and got a 1C. Bigger is better! Looking back my lips were swollen because I wasn't playing correctly. The 1C fixed it though and I'm a better player because I play a bigger mouthpiece, right? Still wanting to be the best I could be, I went to a B cup.

Now, all that being said, I do believe that I have the sound I have a little because I play a bigger mouthpiece but, I don't believe that all good players play big mouthpieces.

It has to fit and work for you and give you the sound you want.

Robin,

I want to know what size mouthpiece you use and what size you started on. Why did you change from the first to the second and so on?

3. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I started on a 7C, and played that until just last year, when I was told by my band teacher to move up to a 5C and then a 3C. I didn't want to waste the time and the money on an intermediate step so I just bought the 3C and am still using that to this day. In retrospect, it wasn't a poor choice (the 3C lets me fit all of the red into the mouthpiece), but my band teacher might have been a little bit out of touch with trumpet mouthpieces (she's a clarinet player).

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Back in the days I also started on a 7c. Then I found that that is not the most comfortable Mp. You don't have to switch if you like the 7c. You should talk to your teacher and maybe you could try out different mouthpieces. If the other mouthpieces don't suit you then stick with your 7c. If a beginner buys the shallowest mouthpieces for range, I tell you he wont get anywhere up there. Mouthpieces are for sound and how they feel. I myself use loud shallow 93 that my friend David gave me on my trumpet. This mouthpiece is shallow and it's comfortable when I play lead. However I use a Schilke 14A4a on my cornet because the sound is bigger. I think that 3c are very good mouthpieces. That's my opinion though.

I hope this helps. I think I was just blabbing because other people answered.

Good luck.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Like many others I started on a 7C. I liked it, but when I got to 10th grade or so I found that it was too "middle of the road" for me. It didn't seem to help me do what I wanted for Jazz, Concert, or Marching bands.

I switched to a 3C and it really helped my sound a lot. I then picked up a Schilke 14A4A for Marching/lead stuff and stayed with that combo for about 15 years.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    considering the nature of most all of your posts recently, you have so many problems that switching a mouthpiece will add one more reason why nothing works.