What range should I have going into high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Range practice should be incorporated into your daily practice, just like breath control, long tones, flexibilities, reading, etc….. To keep what you already have active and sounding good and to add a little to keep your muscles in the memory discovery mode. This, with a lot of patience is how you gain the healthy range you want. As everyone above has said, it cannot be your priority, there are too many other very important aspects of playing you need to concentrate on right now, and range comes with learning everything else correctly. I was one of those fortunate guys in HS that had natural chops and a high range, (and a Dad and Brother who played professionally). So I sat lead for years, but I had to practice everything that we are all talking about to you, even the natural guys have to practice the right stuff.

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    What a super idea to start each day off listenting to music of the masters and learning from it. As for the bladder control, you learn as you age how much more important it is than the high c you only use 3 or 4 times a night

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    A good rule to follow is "Be able to play one step higher than you are required to play"

4. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    YUP! On a good day I can do a D or E but who cares. The audience is happiest with a good robust C at the right time
    AND I always check to be sure I know whre the rest room is, first thing

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    So much great advice here, I thought I'd share my own experience in HS (awesome). In HS I could only play up to B natural above the staff consistently without having a case of chopped meat lips. I was not first chair as a freshman or sophmore and the guy in my graduating class was one chair above me during those years. After a phenomenal freshman year, three Juniors going into their senior year asked me to join them as fourth trumpet in our Jazz band. They asked me over all the other horn players which was very humbling for me. I was never a show off but I so love to play with elegance. I would sit for hours listening to records of the London Philhormonic (John Williams) play the theme of Star wars and others songs, and I would try to mimic their sound. I would actually record myself on cassette tapes and listen to myself. Amazing how much you can improve by being your own toughest critic like that. So during my freshman year I would borrow the first part sheet music of any piece we played "Picture of Spain", "Caravan" and such. Then, I would record my second or third part on cassette and played back as I would then blend in the first part. There is where I high improved my intonation and phrasing skills. I did this due to my passion for playing. I had no concern over what chair I was in or what part I played, I just wanted to make it sound great. every part being first, second or third and beyond is important to creating elegant music. Needles to say, when I started to play in Jazz band. I outplayed a senior for the third part in Bugler's Holiday. I kindly declined to play in concert in order for the senior guy to have his part. I still had two more years of HS anyways. Another great skill learned when listening and playing along with records was the ability to play by ear. The first fundumentals I learned in Jazz band was to memorize all my major, minor and melodic scales. That was so frustrating at first since I always had sheet music in front of me. About two months into Jazz band, we started to throw in some Jam sessions and improving on the fly. I'll tell you, the learning of all the scales was the best thing that I ever could have done. I could pick up all the changes and flow with ease. Never once having to squeak out those ionosphere notes. I played what was withing my range and I did it with finess, since I am no screamer on my horn. Never the less, my passion continues and I love what I can contribute to any venue I'm playing in.

Good Luck,

6. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    GREAT! story. You also learned adult grace by letting the Senior feel some spotlight.
    You certainly have the desire to play MUSIC!!! Not high Ds etc. evidenced by your learning all the parts in the band score

My preparation was to listen and play with records (you remember records. Those black plastic disks with a little hole in the midde)
    My guys were Louie & Harry (James). The Jamie Aebersold records (music minus one back in those days) were a GREAT help. Now there is an entire catalog.
    Neat thing is you are playng real music not boring exercises
    You mentioned scales. I thought that was a great idea too so i did it. Up and down, up and down a half tone at time. Now I just wait for someone to play in B or E so that everyone else drops out and leaves it to me. Body & Soul attracts everyone until the bridge. I usually finish it every time. This is all from the scales that allow the next note in a natural sequence to just happens.

I am just trying to show you how similar our experience and love of the instrument is
    Do what you are doing. Follow all the great advice you are getting here from players/teachers much more talented than I and KEEP MAKING MUSIC!
    You may wind up enjoying it as much as I do

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You've been playing for only a few years and you already have some decent high notes. Don't worry about range! It will come if you work on all the other things that are more important. Know your scales and modes. Pay attention to what makes a sound beautiful, expand the range of nuances you can produce, imitate voice and other instruments, transpose a favorite tune in all 12 keys etc, etc, etc. If your range is still a concern in another 4 years after doing all this, there are dedicated techniques and methods you can use to develop it. You're lucky enough to be learning while you're young, be even luckier to integrate the stuff that matters most.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Just be able to play the music on your stand regardless of the part. Work on it so that you can perfom it to the best of your abilities and there will be no worries. Hopefully your time in high school will be a challenge. That will make you a better player. Never use a section mate to measure your success. Measure success by how much you improve on a regular basis.

mgcoleman likes this.