What should I be listening to?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I recently picked up the trumpet after years of inactivity. I now am ready to update my itunes library, replacing all the kids' music I have been accumulating over the past 7 years with jazz and classical standards. The problem: there is so much out there that I don't know where to start. I would love to have suggestions on the classic, "must have" albums for the jazz trumpet. Also, to expand upon an earlier post by Mr. Wise, any further suggestions for orchestral works? Thank you.

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    some really fun music that i love to listen to are original movie scores; stuff from alan silvestri, danny elfman, john williams, hans zimmer. it's quite comical to have someone come into my office when they hear the imperial march over my speakers and they automatically think i'm watching star wars while working.

another one of my favorites is a modern swing band called Royal Crown Revue Royal Crown Revue . they were one of the leading bands of the swing revival in the 90's and are still going strong with close to ten albums out now.

also look up christian scott. he's a real mellow jazz artist that i listen to when i need to relax.

good luck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'm no expert, but I'll go out on a limb and say anything by Wynton Marsalis.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are married, listen to your wife. She has the power to make ANY musical decision on your part heaven or hell!

There is no serious answer to your question. Even bad music can be a great example of how not to do things. Whatever you listen to, pay attention. That is the major sin in our media swamped lives - background entertainment. Treat yourself to some silence too. There are a lot of lessons to be learned by undistracted contemplation.

5. spevan

spevan New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    just few that I remembered...
    Miles Davis: Bag's Groove, Kind of Blue, Cookin', Porgy and Bess, Sketches of Spain, Walkin', Steamin', ... ... ...
    Clifford Brown: Brownie, With Sarah Vaughan,...
    The Brecker Brothers: Heavy Metal Bepop
    Chuck Mangione: Fun and Games, Children of Sanchez, ...
    Dizzy Gillespie: Dizzy Athmosphere, Gilespiana,...
    Glenn Miller Big Band: basically anything
    James Morrison: Snappy Doo
    Lee Morgan: Search for The New Land
    Maynard Ferguson: anything
    Arturo Sandoval: Hot House, Danzon, Swingin' (not really classics but going to be soon)
    ... ...

I think this can get you started...

6. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have to agree with The Weez. Anything by Wynton Marsalis is always a good start! Also, IMHO anything the New York Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony (Herseth era), or the Cleveland Orchestra has put out you can't go wrong with. Maynard Ferguson you can't go wrong with either. Finally...one of my favorites...Tower of Power. I know they're not "typical trumpet" stuff, but they'll blow your socks off!!

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    A great way to find great music is to punch these artists and/or songs into Pandora.com and let it feed you a variety of music. You can thumbs up or thumbs down each song as it comes along in the list. I've found some artists I had never heard of who absolutely blow me away doing this. At work whenever I get a chance I put on the cans and ATTEMPT to do some work while I'm listening to great music that is oftentimes new to me.

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Art Blakey - Moanin'
    John Coltrane - Blue Train
    Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Actually, make that all Miles up to and including Bitches Brew.

9. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    And if you like Tower of Power, Try SantaFe and the Fat City Horns, Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago Transit authority, Maceo Parker, Blood Sweat and Tears, Bill Chase.........
    I've performed Tower of Power music for............well longer than I'm willing to admit,
    but they are educational to say the least !!! Right Nerf !!

Heres some Tower of power for you to sample !

YouTube - Tower of Power - Only so much oil in the ground

Hoghorn

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    MF Horn II, MF HORN Live at Jimmy's, The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severensen (any of the three CDs) Woody Shaw's Rosewood, Miles Davis Greatest Hits, Sandoval's Trumpet Evolution, Irakere II, Chico O'Ferrell, Wayne Bergeron's You Call This a Living, Clark Terry (Just about anything by him is great especially if Oscar peterson is on piano, the CD Satch & Josh is unbelievable). Ingrid Jensen & Project O, Eric Miyashiro's City of Brass, Wynton Marsalis Jazz standards, Chase's Get It On, Herb Alpert Greatest hits,
    That'll keep you busy.