What should I Do With My old Bach?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Jun 9, 2005.

What should I Do With My old Bach?

1. Keep it and store it as is

100.0%
  2. Sell it as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Clean it up/restore it and sell it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hot-Rod it/Project Horn!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other? (Please explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    If you can swing it financially, I would hang onto the Bach.

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I play a lot, and my LB Bach gets all the legit work. My C gets probably 30-40 gigs a year, my Lawler gets the Lead work. I use the Bach on Jazz gigs too. I'd not sound the same playing Lead on the Bach although I've done it. I'd not use the Lawler on a Quintet gig either. All different tools, they all do the job for me.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I tend to stick with one trumpet for everything, simply because I don't like adjusting to the minor quirks each instrument has, and this LB Strad blows so much differently than my Schilke, that while I could probably get the job done with it, it would not be an enjoyable experience.

I might just have it restored and keep it around, and possibly pass it along to my son if he continues to play trumpet. I may end up doing some modifications to it too - could a Blackburn leadpipe actually hurt it? I don't think so. It wouldn't be the first Strad that wound up with an aftermarket leadpipe.

4. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    I remember that Bach, Pat....not a bad horn...I say, sell it as-is, extremely cheap to someone who really, really needs a horn...I dunno...maybe find a player who got deep-piked by his ex-wife in a divorce fiasco..... someone who is good natured, a decent player, and might just be playing on a nasty, corroded Olds Special that his 7 year old smashed the bell in....or a guy forced to play endless Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes with a lame rock band to pay the bills...or someone like that...I might be able to help you locate a needy guy like that........
    call me at 410-931-4959...

Bob List, living in a refrigerator box on Pratt Street in Baltimore, Maryland.. ( Bulletmore, Murderland)
    :^)...just kidding...I'm doing great...LOL.... I say, If you don't need the money, don't sell it....you will regret it a few years down the road......it always seems that way....BTW..that's my real phone#...anybody on the list who wants to call and say hi, or chat...feel free.. Bob

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bobby, if you are in need of an axe to jam on, I would give it to you as "an extremely long term loan". Just let me know. :-) Seriously.

6. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    FWIW. I have regretted selling horns I thought I would never play again. Patrick, I am like you and like to stay with one horn for as much as I can. If it is a good playing horn I say keep it. (unless you REALLY need the coin).

I sold a late 70s Bach 37*, a mid 70s Benge 3X and a late 70s Benge C (ML) that I regret to this day. But at the time I was fresh out of the Army, in school, and needed the bread. Man I wish I had those horns back! Although I am REALLY happy with the horns I now have but...

I hope this doesn't sound too pathetic...

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I voted other. If you decide to agree with me I'll send you my address in a PM and I'll gladly pay the shipping. Thanks for the horn -- I'll put it to good use!

Seriously -- I hate to get rid of horns -- it hurts to bad to see them go to a new home. Do with the horn what make YOU happy!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This brings to mind Lucinda - my original ML 37 Strad. Man, that horn was rode hard and put away wet, and had the battle scars to prove it.

It had been sat on, (repaired) dropped on the bell, (repaired) I dropped a valve on a tile floor (surprisingly enough, I never had to have this repaired) and had so much acidic wear from my hands that the tubing was so thin in places that it was starting to cave in from simply being held. It also sticks in my mind that I ate a small pin hole through some of the tubing near the valves and I "patched" it with clear fingernail polish. It also sticks in my mind that this is what I used to convince my wife that I "needed" to buy a new trumpet.

It was originally purchased in either late 1984 or early 1985 for my sister, who played it until she graduated HS in 86 and then I got it. I played this trumpet for the rest of HS (1989) and played it for most of my time as an Army Bandsman until I sold it in 1998 - it got used. A lot.

One of the reasons that I sold it is that I was not aware that virtually everything on that trumpet could be repaired, even down to the thin tubing that years of sweat had almost eaten through, and in some ways, I wish I had never sold it - it went to a guy who worked with high school kids and I couldn't have gotten much for it. Me and that trumpet had quite a history together, and it played pretty well, all things considered. After all of that play, I only started to have problems with the valves right before I sold it, and they had never been worked on. I could have thrown 500 at it and made it like new, but again, I didn't realize at that time that all of the issues that it had developed from use could be repaired.

Maybe I will keep it, but I'm really leaning toward the idea of at least putting an aftermarket leadpipe on it and having it cleaned up and re-plated. This one is getting worn, but nothing like my original Strad.