What should I look for?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FLYBYU44, Dec 14, 2007.

1. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 New Friend

Nov 30, 2007
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I posted a few weeks ago in the Introductions part of the forum here. Basically I'm looking to learn how to play the trumpet, on my own, I'll be wanting to buy a trumpet sometime in the new year, but I want to research this some first. Anyway, I wanted to know as a total beginner to instuments and music (I played piano in high school for a bit) what should I get for a trumpet. Can anyone recommend a good beginner model that is cheaper in price but not quality? Thanks for any helps guys and gals.

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Bach is a very good brand for any level in my opinion, but you could get a hefty price tag with a good one. I started out on a Bach, and it was served me very well. I have heard that Shilke and B&S are very good brands. Kings are usually good for beginning models. Hope this helps.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    By the way, I payed about $800-900 for my Bach beginner model.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I would also reccomend getting some kind of teacher. THe beggining is almost as important as keeping playing. You should get a teacher for maybe about 3 or 4 months just to get you started off stong, and then practice on your own.

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I disagree with you... you could buy a cheap Bach Strad Bb off of ebay and get a gem. Or buy a brand new Bach Strad off an online store and it could be a complete dog.

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    What i had to add, Patric Bernard stated almost word for word.If lessons are not at all possible, maybe some kind lessons on dvd.something visual as well as audible.Ifound something on line called "PLAY TRUMPET TODAY' by Hal Leonard.I dont know how good it is , but maybe it might help.Good Luck Don.

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello FLYBYU44. There is a B&S Challenger Two Trumpet with the #37 bell for sale on E-Bay right now. These are very well made and playing Trumpets. I am making payments to a friend of mine on one of these. Mine is a #43 bell. It is in very good conditon. Have not recieved it yet. Maybe around mid. Jan. Should take care of my Trumpet needs for a long,long time. These horns have a one piece hand hammered bell plus all the other features a Bach has. My friend has a nice playing #37 Bell Bach Trumpet. He has sent over sound clips of it and the B&S using the same Gr mouthpiece or Bach 3C mouthpiece.I like the B&S sound much better. Check them out. Do get a good teacher and start from the basics.Doing it on your own can cause a lot of problems and bad habits. And may discourage you from the get go.Good luck on this new adventure.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FLYBYU44,
    Rent a higher quality instrument. Do not buy cheap, and as you have no provision for a teacher, you won't be able to pick a good "cheap" horn anyway. 4-6 months of the rental instrument will give you an idea if your self help approach will work, if you have the time to get the job done or if this is something that would just end up in the closet.
    There is no substitute for a good teacher at any stage of your development, and there is so much that needs professional attention. I am sure that DIY is not the right way.

9. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    A Bach prelude is a good starter trumpet and a very reasonable price. I would suggest getting a teacher at first because to really learn and make sure u'r playing a note correctly, can only be taught by a teacher.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Sorry to say this but I think you paid too much 9