What should I pay for a pre-strike bach?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveythewavey19, May 1, 2007.

1. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    I'm considering buying a bach strad, pre-strike, $1512 is the asking price. The instruments in good condition, really no wear. I've played it and it seems good, however, there are some strange conditions here, the seller insists on cash, $1512 is what he payed for it new, and i have to buy it by thursday for some reason. I know it's not stollen or anything but I don't like rushing into paying that much money for something that fast. Something seems shifty on the sellers end. What do you think??? Are bachs really all that great?
    Any other recomendations on good brands? Price isn't really an issue.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Seems an awful lot for a used Strad. Combine that with some rather weird purchase "requirements" and I'd be looking for something different.

"Buyer Beware"

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It seems like a scam to me.

Be very careful, (read....forget it)

A cash only sale for that kind of money?

It is not even safe to send cash through the mail.

Are you paying the seller in person?

It just sounds like a bad deal!

-cw-

4. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    Thats how I feel, but I'm in a conundrum, my teacher, a college proffessor with a doctorate, is the one recomending this horn to me, he brought it to my attention because I need a pro horn now that I'm starting music school and this horn is one a former student of his owned but that student got in an accident and can never play again. So its hard to figure this out.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    -cw-

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Your choice but a good, used strad shouldn't be worth more than $1,200 or so tops. I can understand him wanting cash (cheques can go "boing, boing, boing") but if his (and your) teacher will vouch for you that should put his concerns to rest.

I hate it to hear of teachers pushing their students towards a particular brand of horn though; they should take a wider approach with a more open mind. How do they KNOW that A or B or Y or Z will be the right one for you if they haven't heard you play on it throughout it's register and in different venues?

Edit: Oh, and before I forget... we once had a "college professor with a doctorate" who hung around here; one of the biggest trolls we've seen in some time. Apparently he had "issues". He's gone now.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I've got beginning students who use the student model Getzens. Those horns beat the pants of most Bach Strads I've tried. You could probably find a decent one on CraigsList for 200 bucks.

Every the cynic,
    Jimi Michiel

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just paid less for a totally custom silver Bach MLV 65G Vindabona with deluxe engraving and gold wash bell. The horn IMO was worth every penny I spent.

I'd say unless it is a mint condition one-of-a-kind horn like the one I mentioned I wouldn't pay that much!

-T

9. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA

refer to quote below...

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey, I'd like to try one of those! I bet it's almost as good as my Olds Ambassador.:whistle:

I agree with Tootsall - A nice used Strad should go in the $1200 range.