What size MP do u use most often?

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Clarence, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    for 2o years i used s shilke 11.
    What would be the next size up from that?

2. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Next size up? What's that about? What's wrong with a Schilke Eleven? Why the compulsion to switch MPs? Many of the greatest artists played that very mouthpiece all their lives, Clifford Brown being probably the best of them. That MP has great presence and depth, a wonderful edgy bite in its tone, terrific projection and a comfortable rim. What do you think you'll find in a different MP? The magic of the upper reegister? Come on.
    Someone said that Chet Baker played all his life with the mouthpiece that came with the horn! One night in a club on W. 86th St, I asked him what MP he was playing. He said "I think it's a Bach seven." And, nice guy that he was, he went over to the stand and looked! We had a good laugh over it.

Cheers!

3. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey only asked a question.
    It feels like i need more room.
    I do have some big smigity-smack lips. :cool:

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Dunno Clarence,
    I've never been a fan of schilke peices, their rims are not for me. I personally have tried a myriad of mpcs but I always come back to my Bach 3C whether playing orch, symph, solo, quintet/chamber, rock, jazz, or lead. Just my two cents.

5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Schilke numbers increase as the size increases...the opposite of Bach.

The next larger size would be a Schilke 12, then 13, then 14, etc. BUT, along with the number are the rim, cup depth, and backbore variables. And, I think you will find the need for a special order if you deviate from the standard production sizes.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
  7. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Thanks tpter for that link.
    Bear as for you , im counting the day,s before i get to check out that new stage1MP!
    Thank you for your 2cent bud.

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    as am I Clarence, as am I... it's gonna be a blast I hope.

9. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Sure it will mr. bear.
    You,ll be playing........................and...................
    fill in the blanks! :cool:

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Call Karl Hammond at Schilke. He'll talk to you and help to put you on the path of just what you need - the best part is that you are getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

I called him about a month ago so that he could hook me up with a 14C4. (14A4 with a cup modification to a deeper cup) As I have gotten used to this mouthpiece, I think that it is going to be just what the doctor ordered - same rim as my current "work" mouthpiece, my 14A4, but deep enough so that it darkens and smooths out my sound a bit.