what song did you have to master?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    "Mueva Los Huesos" by Gordon Goodwin. Played it back in high school. I played the first part AND the trumpet solo (which was pretty extensive). It was a beast of a chart, and I had to put a lot of work into it... Especially those written high #F's!

The optional high (really high) B at the end only came out a few times....and nowhere near as well as Wayne Bergeron and Arturo's in the Big Phat Bands recording! But all in all, I was proud of myself after those concerts.

Kujo

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Every single tune that I have ever played has needed special attention. The joy of being well prepared matches no other feeling in my opinion. Even the simplest tunes today increase my appreciation of the art form.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    John Stanley's Trumpet Voluntary. Served me very well from age 11 onward. Not as technically difficult as those mentioned above, but little beats an opening loud, sustained high G for getting an audience's attention.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Morning Glory for state competition in grade 5 or 6. It has been all down hill ever since ;-)

BB

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I sort of agree with rowuk about every piece being special and for me it was acquiring new techniques that were exciting: getting slurs to "pop," a legato double tongue, two octave skips.... Obtaining those universal building blocks makes more and more pieces readily accessible.

Sorry, but I can't think of a single piece that sort of pushed me up to a higher level. It has been the basics that accomplished that.

6. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    In High School band we played a lot of concerts and during one in my junior year we had a bunch of Sousa pieces plus Jerry Bilik's Block M Concert March scheduled. Our band director Joe Krysik (a great guy and unfortunately now deceased) had decided to have us play West Side Story at the very end of the concert. I ended up having to accompany the the low brass on Maria. While Maria only went to an A above the staff (and I cut the part ok) by the end of this particular concert I remember I felt like I needed to scrape both me and my chops off the floor.

Coolest part is we made a record of the concert and listening now you would never know I was such dead meat by the end....ah..the joys of having youth on your side :roll:

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mastery is a tough word to apply - but at the time (12 y.o.) Clark's Prince of Denmark's March did it for me. I started working on it thinking it was a pretty easy piece. My teacher had me visualising the pagentry of the whole royalty thing. Getting into the music like this was new for me at the time and presented more challenge than just playing the notes. We polished the performance until it sparkled and I won the contest. Most important though was the switch from playing to performing.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I guess what I should have asked is what piece of music was the most challenging to you. I can't tell you how impressed I am at the pieces you've played at such young ages.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Seriously? Ok.

For me, the tune that really challenged me and took me to a different place as a player technically, at least in HS, is the Goedicke Concert Etude. It has some tricky passages, teaches you double tongue cleanly, and teaches you to play technically IN TIME. I was 17 and a Junior in HS when I took on that challenge, and although I've played it since, and I have improved upon it, I did a pretty fair job on it that year.

Another tune that was just a beast to play and make it sound right, was Diz/Parker Bebop tune we did when I was at my first Army band assignment in the Big Band called "Moose the Mooche." It had some crazy licks in it, and if I didn't work it regularly, I'd miss at concerts. I played the soli section with the sax at the top of the tune.

Moose the Mooche by Charlie Parker - YouTube

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Good question:
    I took Illuminations, Reflections of Earth (the original piece) and figured out a way to play it on trumpet by basically matching the violins and when the orchestra would make a major move (that was melodic).
    This was done without the aid of written music. I don't know if it put me over the top but it did expand some horizons.
    Dr.Mark