What the..?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Apr 6, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, I was lookin' on Ebay, and did a search for Kanstul trumpets. One of the results was listed as a ZKT 1500. However, this little darlin' ain't exactly the standard 1500 I believe.

It had heavy bottom valve caps, a heavy mouthpiece receiver, like what supposedly comes on the 1500A, only it didn't have the sheet bracing and had the copper bell. He also had the plating taken off of the tuning slide to improve response. So, is this a custom made 1500, or did the guy just get the valve caps and fudge about the mouthpiece receiver. Also, would stripping the plating off of the tuning slide really improve response? I don't know that much about trumpet physics yet.

Edit: It also says 1500A on the leadpipe. Here's the link;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41401&item=3715443293&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2. jman

jman New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Mike,

Good call. It looks a little different than I've seen, but reasonable. The 1500A should have the the bronze bell, but you can get this customized if you want (i.e., copper). I know some folks aren't partial to the sound of the bronze bell. From what I've seen, they (the 1500As) come with two tuning slides...one with the bracket, one without. The tuning slide in the photo is rounded which is consistent with the 1500A, moreso than the one standard on the 1500. So from what I can tell, he modified the 1500A with a different bell than is standard.

I imagine in some sort of minimal way the plating off the tuning slide might impact response, but I can't imagine it having a significant impact (resonance through that part of the horn shouldn't be as significant as other parts - in other words, there' would probably be other places that would make a bigger impact). However it seems to have worked for him. Nice horn though. Others might have additional opinions. Maybe Jack is on this thread...he'd be able to tell you for sure. By the way, looks like you're attending A&M right now?

-jc

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yup, I'm at Aggieland. Just got through with a nightmare calculus session for that matter.

I just wasn't sure what the deal was, because I think I'd like the weight of the 1500A, but I don't like the sheet bracing and want the copper bell (though bronze might work as well, I haven't really experimented enough, yet). If you could customize one or the other that much, then there you go. The thing that got me was that it just looked exactly like a 1500 except for the valve caps and mp receiver.

4. jman

jman New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, you can customize the heck out of them. Kanstul also has a pretty wide variety of finishes you can select from too. I know that PiCK Music and Kanstul Music do custom orders (at least I think they do). There may be others as well. Best of luck, and post the results if you decide to get a horn!

-jc