What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Re the air support/faster air thread - Shut down before I had a chance to respond.

It seems that any opinion which is not the group think accepted is beat down and shut down. It's a shame because there's plenty of evidence to the contrary which I was going to share. As it stands I won't bother. A difference of opinion is simply not tolerated here and I feel as if it'll be wasted any way.

Good luck with the whole iron fist thing chaps. It's a good thing not everybody on this site is as anal and downright badly behaved.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Part of the problem is that so much teaching is based on metaphor and not physics. I once had a guy try to tell me that you can breathe "warm air" or "cool air". How do you tell? breathe on your arm! Never mind that the air coming out of your lungs is pretty much the same temperature.

There's nothing wrong with saying "this metaphor works really well when trying to teach this concept". It's when the symbol is mistaken for the thing where issues occur.

Tom

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    It just doesn't make sense to shut down a conversation on a musician's forum about something as interesting as the physics behind blowing into a mpc. But this is just another forum anyway so it's not a world shattering event, but definitely a self defeating one where genuine inquiry is concerned.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Can't blame me this time.......

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I understand your disappointment. Part of the problem is that you have people who know the physics pretty well who are not great players (me, for example) and people who are fabulous players who make up the physics as they go along. The conversation quickly degenerates into one camp's total misunderstanding being argued with the other camp's total misunderstanding, and that quickly gets out of hand.

I wrote a posting on this forum explaining in a simplified manner what really happens. You can do a search and it might help.

Tom

6. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    If only we could only find a common middle ground. I actually never even looked at that thread because considering the sheer number of admins and replies in general, I knew something unsavory was going on:lol::lol:

7. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    The problem on this forum is that the "Geheimrat" highjacks every thread with his all-encompassing, mow-em-down expertise - expertise I might add that is largely made up on the spot, and he will brook no opposition whatsoever. Not that he gets much from us peons anyway; we're only here to provide a platform for the Geheimrat's free-wheeling rants. And why? Because he knows how to play the trumpet! He says.

This may very well get me ejected from this board, but you know what? It won't be any loss, for it's difficult to have an intelligent exchange of opinions when every thread devolves to "Mr. Know-it-all".

TDC, MD, FACS

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I shut it down. There was no dialog. The entire subject was documented very well. All one has to do is read what was written/referenced and you will know how a trumpet works (actually there is a sticky thread covering "how a trumpet works" that has withstood the test of time). There is nothing left to discuss except purely for the sake of further empty arguments. If another thread goes in the same direction, there will be as in this time, no censorship, but it will also be shut down.

Smrtn, if you bother to read what was written, you may not agree, but that would only be your problem. You made your points, they were adequately refuted. You evn claimed that we offered no reasoning except that we have been doing this a long time. Pure BS!

If you do some real research instead of leaving half of the system out (the whole trumpet in your case), you could possibly find something that was not covered. You never even made it far enough to acknowledge what was already covered.

There is a difference between wanting to learn something or just arguing. If we treat our posting as references, we are careful about the approach to differences of opinion. In the case of second hand opinion vs first hand facts as in the closed thread, the subject is closed.

Anyone can PM me if they think that they have reasons to open it back up. I will consider any reasonable grounds. If you want to discuss this in depth, perhaps a PM to someone in the know would be a better approach.

9. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    "I shut it down. There was no dialog."

How could there be? You shut everybody down with insults and self-aggrandizing bluster, and from what I can see, you don't even know how insulting you are. You just don't get it.

TDC/

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tomaso,
    you will have to try MUCH harder if you want to get kicked out.

I am not above criticism.

Funny enough however, you seem to have trouble reading. Nothing is made up on the spot, independent research links are offered. All you have to do is read them, compare them and try using some of the things presented. I never post anything that I haven't used/taught firsthand with success. Every time that "Blow harder" or fast air comes up, we have the same misconceptions that have been holding trumpeters back for generations offered. They are plain and simple wrong and responsible teachers everywhere don't use them. Without qualifying the players true "handicap" such advice is even more "dangerous".

Geheimrat is an interesting word that describes a group (RAT) make decisions behind the scenes (in secret). I can assure you, there is no secret communication about you guys unless it gets vulgar. Calling ME the Geheimrat is a very improper a use of the word I am singular not a group. As I openly post, there is enough proof of "no secrets".