What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I am at the same time very thankful that I don't have to fully understand how I do it but still bring joy to people ( including myself) when I play.
    Yet I still appreciate those who do, but it would eat me alive to have to understand it, and take most of the fun out of it, too.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - KT gets mentioned twice - but since the old guy "is out" - by his own admission and not coming back I can't challenge him to the question on physics I proposed about getting faster vibrations by changing air speed through the aperture or tightening the vibrating service --- heck, Rowuk has a finite strength, but with a long enough lever - even he could singlehandedly move a dumptruck without even starting it -- Rowuk with a long enough lever could theoretically move the earth

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Let's have a vote - who thought that was a reasonable reply by KT and no "clowning around" - someone tell GM to take off the baggy pants, the clown nose, and the size 46 shoes - this is not the circus ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Leverage requires two parts ... absent in above is the fulcrum therefore nothing can be moved or lifted.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I stand corrected Ed --- thank you for that reminder --- and I verified it with a quote from Thomas Jefferson
    "The good opinion of mankind, like the lever of Archimedes, with the given fulcrum, moves the world.
    Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
    (Letter from Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1814)
    The Writings of Thomas Jefferson
    Memorial Edition (Lipscomb and Bergh, editors)
    Washington, D.C., 1903-04
    Volume 14, page 222

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How the trumpet works is the province of physics. How the trumpet is taught is the province of metaphors, similes and emulation. In a very real sense, playing the trumpet is a mystic art.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Truth again is spoken by the Brother :bravo: :play:

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Passed from father to son as part of oral tradition.

Regards, Stuart.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    ...and improvement if measured mathematically would reveal progress by successive approximation as ideas are absorbed, incorporated, rejected/retained - in a most unmagic-bullet way.