What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    mispost.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Fantastic resource VB, thanks for sharing. I like the way it relates what happens in the instrument to what we feel and what our needs are as musicians. It's worth making it a sticky here. Perhaps redundant but I find that it relates physics to playing better than what I read before.

First page already contains such profound wisdom as this: "Tuning is a matter of musical context, so that to stand in front of a frequency-measuring machine is to play in an unfamiliar context to say the least. On the other hand, such observations can, when properly used, be the basis for great clarification of the practical business of obtaining musically correct intonation." Hard to think of a better language to describe it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow -- KT keeps getting mentioned a lot --- can't you people find another fascinating person on this forum besides me? --- look I disagree with most of you on some points - can't you just accept that???

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Besides there may be only 2 or 3 on this forum who even know if I can play the trumpet or not --- relax people go play and try to be happy

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let me offer yet another visualisation.

Picture the embouchure as a mousetrap. The embouchure muscles and mouthpiece pressure "clamp" the embouchure down. Open the mousetrap with "speed". Doesn't work. Get it? We need FORCE not speed.

Now picture the force necessary to hold the mousetrap open to let it vibrate at trumpet frequencies. We now need equilibrium - enough force to fully compensate the mousetraps spring that has to float to be able to vibrate at trumpet frequencies. Speed changes nothing when we are compensating force.

The trumpet works the same way.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Seth,

fast compared to what? And faster when playing high? The speed is easily calculated when we know the volume of air moving and smallest diameter of the physical system. The air must move much more slowly when we play high as we can hold the notes out far longer. The loss of air happens because of leakage when we play low notes as the amplitude of the lip motion can't convert as much into "sound". The aperature of the embouchure at higher frequencies is the limiting factor above c in the staff or so. It is the "smallest" diameter even although it is a moving target. Because the lips move, the transformation of power (air pressure) to velocity is not as Bernoulli would have us believe....... Shallower mouthpieces provide a high pressure air cushion so the embouchure is supported acoustically to a greater degree.

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    No this is not what is going on here. Read the whole thread.

====>IT IS NOT ME THAT ARQUES WITH ROWUK ON TRUMPET STAFF!!!! <=====

I just don't like him. That's it!!!

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    ARGUES even.

Okay you don't like Rowuk, keep it to yourself. I'm not sure how I feel about you but I don't take every opportunity to tell the world. I also would not take a dislike to someone based on the written word on an open forum (very often)

9. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Why should I keep it to myself? This is an open forum right?

He was arquing with another member, he even closed a thread of the other user, and I said my opinion. What's wrong with that?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sometimes out of heated debate comes respect. KT and I went at it a lot in our earlier days on this forum... and today, I have nothing but the most respect for KT.

Time heals all wounds.