What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Ah, but he will continue to be beaten, won't he?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Until moral improves!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no need to beat a dead horse. All of the positions have been presented and what did we learn?

1) Some care some don't.
    2) Some can define complete processes and some can't.
    3) Certain aspects are "immune" to argumentation regardless of the necessity.
    4) The necessary background to really understand the complex relationships involves a deeper understanding of fluid dynamics, horn theory, resonance, reactance
    5) Simplifications do not allow us to adequately describe the workings. Conveniently leaving out significant parts leads to wrong results
    6) I have learned that open internet forums do not allow us to discuss complex subjects intelligently, those with little or no technical background don't ask questions, they make blanket claims that do not hold up and then argue. In a live forum, generally "experts" are invited to do the legwork and present the results. There is no chance for that here. Even the simple live experiments described were not tried by those with the least amount of technical background.
    7) Threads dealing with complex material are constantly bombarded with posts with no content whatsoever. This varies from personal interaction to class clown - the threads become useless for research.
    8) The normal internet "Agenda" politics take the place of technical discourse.
    9) The technical description is not of very much help for the normal teacher or student

So, at the end of the day, each of us "knows" who we will listen to, and once the first round is done, basically the thread could be closed - nothing "new" is presented and we know who these people are.

There is a model in paid forums and universities where one is required to submit theories for publication - and only after approval are they available. Threads are full of CONTENT and not BS. I am thinking about a closed thread with all of the real "meat" here for research purposes. We have technical and medical people whose input for sure qualifies as "worthy". I know of no other way to keep a thread on subject. Perhaps over Christmas I will create such a compilation but close it for comment. That would not stop anyone from creating a thread to "comment" the closed research, it would only keep the subject "clean". Have no fears, if I create such a thing, the fast air proponents will have their content - however weakly defended - included.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Latest news: trumpet players tired of arguing about mouthpieces and stuff, now tackling design for a better mousetrap.
    Ought to be interesting.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    one thing is certain, regardless of the topic. We ALL THINK we are right. No one goes walking around thinking he has flawed thinking or ideas. It's just not human nature. Now this is why it's so difficult to bring some of us the the correct facts of a matter, since we thought we were right, so why does someone else who thinks they are right make us change our minds? This is how it is, not how it should be, I want to make that clear. Now I am not saying I don't listen to good counsel, I think I may be in the minority here, I merely think I'm right because I think I don't really know exactly the true answer to some things. I personally like to hear all the possibilities, then try to make a fair decision as to which seems best.

Is that as clear as mud now? I hope I got my point across. I don't want to step on any toes. That was not my intent.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In 10 years when I retire, I hope to have time to build the better mousetrap that I currently have drawn in my inventions notebook. There are two iterations depending what we want to do: catch the mouse (without harm) or kill it. Those two concepts are very similar to open thread arguing about the trumpet system - catch those interested without harm,................. Both methods have required follow up so that the unmaimed mouse does not starve and the dead mouse does not stink up the house. This also translates to our ability to play blowing, or sucking.

In my mousetrap embouchure visualisation, I was talking about the trap being sprung and our lips clamped down. Some understood that, others did not...... With enough pressure, even lips clamped down can be blown "open".

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Put poisoned cheese inside a viola, mice go into said viola, eat poisoned cheese and die in place. Simply burn the viola to get rid of the mice.
    Too easy...now back to mouthpieces, airflow, memes...

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My teacher told me a mousetrap works by killing the mice.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hyperventilate them with fast air, or blow them to smithereens with more pressure............