What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And what are you working on? I don't think it will work either.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Need you even ask?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jason Harrelson does this kind of with paper in his Video "First Trumpet Lesson". Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yetmSeFBUs

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm... Paper demonstrations of air flow by a trumpeter, paper airplanes, Dayton Ohio, Wright Brothers, gmonady... Any questions?

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    no

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Nothing but questions. One of them is this: what are you talking about.

How about this, you can't blow out a normal candle by aiming your trumpet at it and playing as loud as you want. (not a question)

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so in this thread I merely point out that many a great trumpet player has stated -- FASTER AIR --- whether this is true or proven, I don't have the scientific references that anybody would request.
    I am making PVC fifes for some friends kids ---- and I make them in different keys, cause there is a lot of science about that ---- the physics behind the diameter of the pipe, the wall thickness, the spacing of the holes, and even the size of the holes ---- and yes, I know the physics behind this ----

the fifes are at least 2 octave instruments --- it's amazing that you need to blow harder to get the fife to jump to the second octave --- one is only changing air or air speed ----the physics of sound ------------ to get a higher pitch through the same aperture, you need faster air, which is either coming from actually faster air, or the compression of more air through the aperture ---- which would be "faster air" ---it's all physics --- whether the body can do the math, I am uncertain ---- but the air still follows principles of physics

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think I will weigh in a little here. Whereas I am currently using a combination of "faster air" as a visualization and tongue arch to improve range after an embouchure change. I wonder if we are arguing a silly point here, surely what we are after is more basic than that, we are after changing the frequency at which our lips are vibrating not ho hard we are blowing. The rest is different strokes for different folks and as we are all different and at different points in our playing there will be as many ideas as there are trumpeters. For me there is more art than science in playing and trying to reduce it to this principle and that theory and so and so's standing big wave bang theory. Let's face it Heisenberg's uncertainty principle would suggest we can't analyse it any way because the act of performing an analysis changes the behaviour of that which is being studied (vastly simplified and only really true at a quantum level I know but it makes the point, while we are arguing about what is going on we aren't practicing)

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And here we see an example of how so very diverse levels of achievement can come from one city.
    I'm not talking about you, specifically, Doc!! Don't be so sensitive now!!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    New thread title could Big Bang's Sheldon plays trumpet.