What the?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Leonard no sleep while I play the trumpet (Bazinga I'm glad you caught the reference, I couldn't do without my daily cup of Cuocco)

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    May I make a baseball reference, here? (not waiting for a response he makes it anyway)
    There are two types of trumpet players. One knows all the theoretical and scientific mumbo jumbo, and other is me.
    One knows why, how, where, and how much, where to put what, and the other just plays from his collective experience and motor memory. (me)
    Baseball now: Ted Williams used to analyze hitting to the nth degree, and it resulted in great success for him. Mickey Mantle saw the ball, swung from the soles of his feet every time, and resulted in great success for him as well. WHen they would meet at the annual all star game, Ted Williams would talk hitting to Mickey, resulting in Mickey going into a 2 week slump after this happened. Every time. His head was too full of too much information.
    This describes me. I appreciate all the interesting facts, but do not thrive on them nor consciously think about them when I play, hopefully, except a few days after reading too many of these things on TM. Different strokes, but that's another TV reference. :sorry:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Baseball -- the Bernoulli effect -- look it up yourselves people --- its faster air

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    The airplane - faster air over one part of the wing creates pressure and lift

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A simple try-it-at-home test for you, KT.

Take a big full breath, then play a quiet, above stave note, and hold it steady as long as you can until you empty your lungs.

Now without changing your aperture, repeat the process for a low note.

Come back and tell us how long you could hold each note.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh! Oh! Oh! I know this one!!! ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't know what you're making, but the octave jump is due to the left thumb hole on the underside of my fife.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And your trumpet never leaves your hands. Or levitates.
    If you play your trumpet in a jet flying at 535 MPH would that qulify as faster air and result in higher notes? Now that's the question.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What does a fife, or flute, or any other instrument where you blow wind past a blow-hole, have to do with playing trumpet? They are completely unrelated concepts when it comes to sound production of each type of instrument. A sax player is not blowing faster air to go into the altissimo register of the sax - everything is tightening down, so the air speed slows, but the compression and vibration speed both increase, or at least that's what I'd tend to think about it. Trumpet is more similar to sax than it is to a fife.

Faster vibration - not faster air. More focused air, perhaps, but faster?