What to ask Bergeron?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Apr 17, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What is the optimal position for the lower jaw?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Does the Vulgano Brother Ray of Power really work or is he just blowing air out of his chakra?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, Mark... it's great to see you posting again. You always have a fresh prospective on things that I love to read. Now of course you will have to post a weekly Diary as to how your lessons with Mr. B are going.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think you need to stick to questions that will make you better players. Does asking about his choice of brands really do that? In my opinion, no.
    How can I efficiently use my playing time to get better, what are time wasters, as far as what doesn't help me? This is what I think would be good questions.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    If I were fortunate enough to be able to get a lesson from Wayne, ( something I would love to do) I would be ALL ears and keep my mouth closed..... And I would ask permission to record the lesson, for my own reference.

6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have met Wayne on numerous occasions and have performed with him once at the ITG Conference at UMASS in 2007.He is a great guy to talk to. Talk to him about what your future goals are as a trumpet player. He has played with the best of the best, so he has a lot of great insight. His relationships with Maynard Ferguson,Bobby Shew, Gordon Goodwin, Malcolm McNabb, Bob and Chuck Findley, etc. are invaluable as far as relating to the studio and music industry.

Pete

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks all! It's good to be back, and I enjoy the input from all.

I've already thought up a few questions regarding lead style, and how to make embellishments (e.g. falls, shakes, rips, etc) to sound great.
    I really like the warm up idea, because that can really vary between players. Pete, your idea about my goals and how to achieve them seems to be an excellent idea. If anyone knows, I'd assume it'd be someone in the business. I might also ask about what he eats before a gig, because some foods really mess me up (salty, greasy).

As an update of how I've been, been getting out to some bars with friends and playing, so far so good. A lot of improvements in playing, all aspects. I'm quite pleased, and I'll just keep practicing.
    Vulgano, the advice you gave helped very much with the style on Hindemith, and I've actually passed it forward, to my friend who is also playing it.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The lower jaw is best left on the bottom, and the top...............Just messing with you, Doc.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    My usual position of lower jaw when listening to Wayne is on the floor.