What to clean spots on a trumpet bell with?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chrisryche, Jun 18, 2013.

1. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    I have several spots on the inside of my trumpet bell (probably from condensation allowed to settle while in the case) but I cannot remove them with a simple polish cloth. The bell is silver plated brass. Any suggestions on how to remove these spots without ruining the silver finish?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Hegerty's Silver Foam would be a good choice. Follow instructions to the letter.

Tom

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Place it in a HOT water bath, lined in Aluminum foil. Add several table spoons of baking soda, a teaspoon or two of table salt, and give it a half hour. That should do it.

Better life through home chemistry!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Silver polishing cloth used gently is another less involved option.

5. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    Thanks for the advise guys. Well I went to Wal-Mart last night and bought some Weiman silver polish and that seems to have done the trick. The finish is still not perfect but it is greatly improved.

6. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Toothpaste has always worked well for me. Be sure to use a toothpaste that has no grit in it. Amway Glister is one that I have used. Makes the horn smell nice too!

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Baking soda is the least toxic and most reasonable thing to use. You breathe on that thing...you don't want petrol based stuff or toxic chemicals. The aluminum baking soda is really effective...It will look new again.