what to do after destroying the face in band camp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey TM- i just finished week 1 of a two week high school marching band program; everything is great...that is until I have to traverse from 3rd space C
    to the D above it (4th line D). I've developed somewhat of a break so to speak between these two notes- I've attempted doing long tones, buzzing, resting,
    etc but nothing seems to get me back to my pre-camp consistency.

Also, flexibility and control suffer greatly when attempting to go chromatically from low C to high C- I can ascend easily- descending is another story. This has never been easy for me before (as seen in one of my previous posts), but now it's darn near impossible.

The clarity, ease, and crispness of attacks has also diminished.

Could any of my issues be related to a simple swelling issue?

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    USE MORE AIR!

That is all.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What is your schedule for band camp? Playing wise, marching wise and how demanding is the music?

In my high school, we played 8 hours a day everyday except Sunday with demanding music and drill. This could be lip soreness that needs a few days rest. A few will disagree with me, but you are developing and can badly damage your chops. Take it easy, drink LOTS of water. D.C Al Fine is right with use more air, I have a feeling you are a pressure player, relax and blow.

4. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    our schedule is similar- minus the Saturday practice. We have made state championships for the past 4 years- so I would rank our drill with even some DCA corps.
    Playing wise we are required to traverse the entire range of the instrument in 5/8, 4/4,6/8,2/4, and 5/4 playing up to high C.

DaTrump you are certainly right on the money- I am indeed a pressure player. I will definitely ask my director if I can just finger along and move air for a couple days.

one more question about the damage to the embouchure though- I feel a shift up (like my upper lip collapses/ attempts to bite the rim) when I exit the staff. My tone
    then becomes airy and very limited dynamically. Thoughts?

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    You do know he is talking about the C and D in the staff, correct?

How about you spend those days using less pressure and not doing nothing. Taking a break will not reduce the amount of pressure you use.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Us too, so I understand, we did Crossmen show and we do some crazy stuff.

Even if you can't not play, take the high stuff down. And that sounds.....terrible. I would suggest taking some lessons or showing your director, thats all I can help embouchure wise over the internet. How do you hold the horn with your left hand? And do you march with a different horn from symphonic?
    What state are you in?

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yes, at one point and time but mentions going from low C to high C, I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to use pressure on middle C and middle D though.

Taking a break doesn't reduce pressure but it will give his chops time to rest, relax and heal from the onslaught. Even a day could help. Tomorrow is Sunday and the OP won't have band, THAT should be enough

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Just ake it easy. Don't keep your trumpet pressing against your lips when you are not playing. it keeps the lips from swelling so much. Even when I've got a few bars of rest, i relax them and get ready. Something as simple as that can help.

9. Cpt.Funk

Cpt.Funk New Friend

Jul 15, 2012
    (Crossmen show- awesome!)
    I'm currently using a Curry 1.5ZM mouthpiece with a Bach Strad (unfortunately for the horn, I do use it for both symphonic and marching gigs :/)
    I've been studying with a principal player for about a year and a half now, but he's currently out of town- I'll be sure to address the issue with him when he returns.
    I hold the horn with a three top one bottom style with the ring finger in the third slide loop. Others have suggested a two and two grip, but I've found it uncomfortable for
    long periods of time (horn snap speed also suffers a tad so I've heard).

D.C.- what would you suggest as far as pressure reducing routines?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes. And if you are wise, you will not listen to Al. He know not from where he speaks.:D

Take it easy. Back off by 25-50% of your normal performance intensity. Massage your lips about 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day followed by ice massage for about 30 seconds, then repeat the ice massage once again.