what to do after destroying the face in band camp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cpt.Funk, Aug 4, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Out, but not down. Try changing your light bulb.

Turtle

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Some folks can advise, others should receive advice and not give it out.........listen to the Doctor, he knows what he is talking about.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Scatmanblues gave very good advice, as did those who suggested ChopSaver and ibuprofen. But I'll still throw a few other suggestions out there. Occasional icing and massaging the chops can help. Getting a copy of Charles Colin's complete set of lip flexibility studies, and incorporating some into everyday practice, can make a big difference (you can also use some of the flexibility exercises from Arban, Clarke, the interval studies from Schlossberg - there's plenty of good stuff out there). Try to minimize the time you spend with your horn cranked up aiming into the judges' box in the stands - unless you're using a bent-stem mouthpiece, that's a pretty lousy way to have to play a trumpet. Finally, the inevitable mouthpiece change: talk to Mark Curry about a similar cup and rim size but in his 600 series - they're more comfortable if you're a pressure player (not saying you should be, of course, but if you are, he can help).

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I just clobbered my face in two days of excessive playing with an unexpectedly good horn that arrived in the mail, and had a similar dilemma on day 3. My lips were swollen and I could get no decent sound out ... So, I took two days off. I'm used to the formula of as much rest as playing .... so it seemed appropriate. Then, on day 5, a good sound again. It's not recommended however (to let your face get clobbered). Also, some lip balm did wonders on the two days I took off.

Turtle

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You've beaten up your lips by playing too loud which is accompanied by using too much pressure.These two things will cause swelling every time.

I usually don't recommend people to do this, but because you damaged your lips,take a day or two off.
    When you start up again practice very soft with as little pressure as possible.
    It's not how long you practice,but the way you play when you practice that makes the difference.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I use more air in the low and middle register than I use in the high register.
    I can play longer phrases when playing lead than I can on lower section parts.Using more and more air only encourages blasting and using more and more pressure.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay,

As a trumpeter that loves the cornet I would worry if I had to use pressure for a C on the stave or the D above it and boy can I use pressure if I have to, C on the stave should be free and easy. I'm not having a go but try to relax and lessen the mothpiece pressure. I played a gig today (in an English Brass Band) where towards the end I needed a Bb above the stave and it wa the only note I needed a bit extra pressure for (on a cornet) I have sung first tenor in Grand Opera's though including a couple of lead roles and that revoloutinoised my playing to such and extent I now believe every brass player should have lessons from a singing teacher, at least in breathing. It has given me more control, strength and endurance. Just a thought

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks Turtle. Maybe though your EXCELLENT advice, our friend Al will encounter more enlightenment.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It helped me a lot too, I'm a second tenor, and not a very good one at that! But singing that requires tons and tons and tons of air!

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If that question was asked of an Aussie Band Camp:
    "What to do after destroying the face in band camp?"
    Answer: Plenty of water to hydrate - 1 litre before bed, and lay off the alcohol today!"