What to do before I play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PersonaSmith, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PersonaSmith

PersonaSmith New Friend

Jan 4, 2012
    Lewisburg, Tennessee
    I was wondering what some good things to do before playing would be. I'm asking about pretty much any habit that would be good, from brushing my teeth or using mouthwash to some quick breathing exercises.
    Also, what should I try to avoid doing before playing?

I apologize if there was already a thread related to this, I searched for it a couple of time but really had no idea what it would be titled. :huh:

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Avoid eating before you play, then you will spit food into your trumpet and cause nasty growth. I would also recommend warming up, that helps me. Also, I find it better to breath in a lot and put as much air in your lungs as you can. That will stretch your lungs out and allow you to have more breath support.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You have a good start, so far. Try just breathing into the trumpet to get it down to room temperature, then of course it will fall to body core temp. as you play. Do long low notes. Do slow scales with full notes to warm up. Then half notes, quater notes etc. As you proceed you will make progress. I was taught to let my trumpet sit in an open case for a while so it will either warm up or cool down depending on the temp. in the room of course.
    Small suggestions, but I hope they help.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Exhale before you inhale. Listen to a lot of non-brass music. Keep internet advice to less than 10% of your daily diet. Get a life - trumpet players that have other things to balance themselves generally have a better view on life in general.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Oil your valves. ...From the top.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hydrate, minimum food beforehand - allows you to breathe, clean teeth without paste, above all - KNOW that you can do it.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Avoid food. [Red rot be gone.]

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What NOT to do. No alcohol BEFORE playing gig... AFTERWARDS... open season on booze!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ESPECIALLY when declairing open season on booze!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia