What to do before I play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PersonaSmith, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    One of the things I like to do, is think about what it is I am about to play before I even pick up the horn, from beginning to end, sometimes it takes five minutes, sometimes only 1 minute.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Focus on what you're doing.Warming up is not only for the lips and air,but also the mind.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Drink water. Keep an open bottle of water with you on stage. Go over music while deep breathing a bit to relax and oxygenate your system. Get the first note in your mind. The rest will come.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh yeah, pray!!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Avoid salty foods right before you play. Clean out your mouth before you play. If you have time brush your teeth . Have a good 10 to 15 minute warm up that includes some slow deep breathing exercises. And above all put your brain in gear. I see a lot of players that start to play without thinking about what they are doing. Of cours they just make a lot of mistakes

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    brush your teeth --- -- pick your nose so you will be able to breath through it --- then you won't have to take your lips of the mpc to breath during a song. --------then warm up, and play.

ps. when picking nose -- if a "girlfriend" is present -- then you must consume the booger -- if you flick it, it might hit her, NOT good -------If you wipe it on your pants -- then evidence remains of said "picking nose action", which will probably offend her ------------BUT it you eat the booger, then the evidence is gone, the "girlfriend" will only assume some incongruences with your behavior, and you have a better chance of "explaining it away" -- because there is NO evidence --IMHO ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I do have a ritual. I floss then brush my teeth. Then I drink some cold water. Finally, I practice breathing properly as apart of mental preparation and getting focused. This clears away distractions.

BrotherBACH

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Get plenty of sleep the night before.
    When playing more than one show in a day, take a shower just before you go to the second job to keep your concentration sharp.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So when you take your paw away from your face as in your Avatar, is your eye and forehead caked in boogers? Is that why you hide your face, because you missed your mouth. Again, remind me when we meet NOT to shake your hand as a tip of the hat will do.

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Don't think too much- just pick up and play.