What to do before I play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PersonaSmith, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you brush your teeth, floss and scrape your tongue. Use non-alcoholic mouthwash. Erect music stand and light and set music. Get mutes and rack and attach (if you can). Open trumpet case(s0 and remove instrument(s), stowing cases nearby if possible. Oil valves. Lastly, insert mouthpiece. Then warm up and play.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I give pertinent advice to young trumpet players here -- and you twist it to sound so vulgar and disgusting. ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Doc, when my Docs come into examining room they will not shake hands ... the first thing they do is grab a pair of gloves and put them on ... and even still won't shake hands. Kinda makes me think, I wouldn't want to exchange any courtesys with them.

At least I blow my nose with a disposable handkerchief, spray with a saline solution wait about 5 minutes and blow with handkerchief again before inserting my O2 cannula which I've wiped the tips of with an alcohol patch. My handkerchiefs and swabs are put in my lined bio-hazard bags and subsequently burned in my fire barrel.

I'm almost to the point of putting on gloves myself when I enter a Doc's office and examining rooms. Shouldn't worry about MERSA then. Somewhere here I've about 5 unopened boxes of gloves and enough experience wearing them. Got sani masks also. Out of hair covers, but have lots of shoe covers.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YEAH -- I think the problem with doctors is that TOO MANY times they have to remain "unattached" emotionally to the patient. Professionalism, being able to remain objectivity to the patients problem, or whatever. As a patient I actually find this very uncomfortable, and very disconcerting. I don't need to have a doctor be my buddy --- but it would be nice if the doctor would seem reasonably human in mannerism instead of "just methodical and unattached". I am certain that this is NOT everywhere -- but it is stark contrast to the doctors I remember 30 years ago, who somehow seemd to be more "patient friendly" and personable. IMHO

and this is relative to the post -- WHY?? if we remain unattached to our horn, and distant from interaction with the trumpet, and just methodically go through a practice ---- then I think we have lost sight on why we play the horn --we need to WANT TO BE THERE PLAYING ----instead of just playing it.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, KT, don't think I have much to twist here: This was your comment: "when picking nose -- if a "girlfriend" is present -- then you must consume the booger -- if you flick it, it might hit her, NOT good -------If you wipe it on your pants -- then evidence remains of said "picking nose action", which will probably offend her ------------BUT it you eat the booger, then the evidence is gone..."

So in sticking to the theme of the thread [which has somehow taking the direction of doctors not shaking hands] I recommend not picking your nose, thereby avoiding all the yucky antics of our dear friend... Kingbooger.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT I'm old enough to remember when a Doc would come to your home to examine you ... and that was great as he also owned all 4 theatres in our town and would give us FREE tickets.

I really shouldn't complain about my present personal Docs, as they've kept me alive now long enough for me to continue playing these brass beasts and enjoy the other amenities of life.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    First, I always take the trumpet out of the case.....................

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Then, what do you do while you set up your music stand, music, mutes, etc. even find a chair to sit on. Your trumpet is vulnerable to damage.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Good point, Ed, I guess I was oversimplifying. but my trumpet is safe on the couch. Not much is going to happen there. That would solve the "find a chair" step as well, and the stand is ready to go.....just has to be put together (it's tucked under the sofa out of sight) Mutes are taken out as needed, all in close proximity. I almost always use my Yamaha Silent Brass system too, so using a mute doesn't happen that much when I practice. That's just me, though. Thanks for the comments as usual, Ed.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Big Dub, I presume you don't have a cat or dog as would push your trumpet to the floor when they wanted to occupy the couch. We do have a cat but she can't get into my office where I practice and my insruments are as she hasn't learned how to open doors ... 2 of them. Otherwise, anything else in the rest of our house is vulnerable to her antics. Well, not our bedroom either as the door to it is also kept closed ... most of the time, except when I forget to close it when I'm taking a nap.