What to do if someone wants to swallow while playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 28, 2013.

1. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    My mouth often gets filled with saliva and stuff

2. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Funny how this is my first worry.

3. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    Send it all through. That's what those woodwind players in front of you are there for. :D

4. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Yeaahhhhh.... I'm kinda grossed out. Just me! I mean even if thats normal But won't it affect your tone?

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    The water key is your best friend.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What is the other stuff? Without knowing the content of the vomitus like substance, bad advise could be given! If there is ANY size to the material contained in the "stuff", you could gum up the works of your instrument. Swallow (all of it) is always the safe move.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    There is a youtube clip I saw once of Cat Anderson's promotion of some visible embouchure mouthpiece he is playing on while being recorded. You can clearly see the saliva passing through as he plays it, and what? He still sounded like Cat Anderson. Unless you are mass producing mass gushes of saliva, this shouldn't be such a big deal. This thread is somewhat funny to me just imagining Benny Hill (RIP) making a clip of some guy with saliva issues while playing a horn. ROFL

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've heard that swallowing while playing can cause almost instant death....

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Yes, if you accidentally swallos the mouthpiece...

Seriously, though, I had the same problem as a beginner. IN my experience, it will grow less with time and practice. But as many people have said before - the water key is your best friend.
    To avoid congestion of the hooter, try brushing your teeth or at least rinsing the mouth shortly before your playing.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have had that problem when singing (ask the other half please Barliman) and it drives me scatty, the voice has no water key. I can't really help though as I've never had that problem while playing.