What to do if someone wants to swallow while playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

:shock: :shhh:

Dean_0

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Service will be provided almost instantaneously.
    1) It's quite natural to salivate during singing - some singers do it more than others. Whenever Placido Domingo is on stage, the real opera buffs don't book first row seats...

2) It's probably a reaction to too dry a vocal apparatus - try drinking a few little sips of water every now and then.

3) Don't starve yourself to death before a performance - otherwise even the thought of food will do it...

4) COntrol your nervousness - after all, it's only a performance, not anything life-threatening.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Beginner. May I suggest that you put a trumpet up to your chops and woodshed for a couple of months, get comfortable with the horn, and then start asking questions about actual problems that you are having instead of doing all of this projecting? It's a lot more fun. ;-)

(. . . and productive.)

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks for that Barliman

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, totally biological simultaneous swallowing and playing (producing quality sound) isn't humanly possible. Certainly, in a pause during playing I occasionally swallow. As for the yukky mess many blow into their instruments, between brushing your teeth and mouthwash, scrape your tongue. Still, my own instrument bath water grosses me out.