What to do when lips are so sour they wont buzz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    A half minute of free buzzing.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It seems to me you could have been using too much pressure for too long. Why would you play a 3 hour rehearsal and then go home and play some more ? I work outside all day on my day job, I usually apply some lip balm before going outside.

3. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    This is a 'for what it's worth' story that I think is related to this thread.

Earlier this summer (early June) I was using my weedeater to clear a path for some fence. Going thru some thick brush I did not see a hornet's nest (the gray paper mache' kind), when I hit it one of the hornets flew straight to my upper lip and stung me square in the middle of it. I will tell you that almost knocked me to the ground and did it swell up. Even after the swelling went away almost three days later it was three weeks before I could even get a note on my horn. Needless to say, I was extremely worried about this wondering if there might have been any permanent damage. With daily practice for some time I could get no higher than 'C' on the staff. The 1st trumpet player in the group I play with gave me the Clark Tech Studies book and finally after working on the first two studies, mainly the low notes, I am finally getting my range and endurance back.

My story has, I think, two morals:

1. Never give up!
    2. Practice, Practice, PRACTICE !!!!!!!!!

If you don't know where you are going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    i found they rubbing my lips on the bell of the trumpet helps cool them down as a temporary fix, but ive been recomended some armica cream, its natural brouse repair stuff that repairs bruses very quickly, like any music your lips can get sore and bruse easily, when i toured germany with a windband, orchestra and a jazz band i was continusly playing for usually 4-7 times a day for just over a week, most other players couldnt do it, but i used this cream every night and it helped so much, you can get it from most chemists, stronly recommend it!

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    it has three actually

3. Do not mess with hornets!!!!!!

6. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    This is a good thing that I do as well. But if you're at a performance, and if they allow water on stage, I'd freeze it before I go onstage but give a little time for it to melt so you can use it when you need to. It'll cool those lips RIGHT down and the lights from the stage will help the ice melt a little.:play:

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Hornets" - are they the same as Pocket Trumpets? ;-)

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    The wind is killing me, its windy and cold ATM, and I cannot stand lipbalm. Plus the air is arid. AARRRRGGHHHHHHH

what to do, my lips are wooden. AARRGGGHHHHH

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wooden lips, PERFECT, play a Clarinet. :lol:

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hrrmmpppfff!!!!!:-P