What to do when you've been playing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LLD, Oct 18, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LLD,
    bad habits need to be replaced by good ones. The first thing that you need is patience. The second thing you need is a good teacher. What you describe is not "self-help" although a lot of us have great fun in suggesting all sorts of things for players we have never met.
    Every embouchure is individual. Many times, simple exercizes like buzzing and pedal tones can firm up flabby muscles. Whether this is the "right" thing for you is difficult to say.
    It is dangerous to think about changing ANYTHING drastically when you are in the middle of projects. A change of embouchure can wipe decent playing out for 6 months or more.
    I can only recommend finding a good teacher. Tell us what general area you are in. Maybe there is a qualified TMer not far away!

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Band directors who dont play trumpet often give bad advice. Ive heard stories of people beign told to get lead pieces then screwing up there whole sound and not understandign why. People getting 3cs just because the band director thinks they need it. Correctign habits that are actually good sometimes. For some people puffing is good and is suggested. For some people pressure is actually needed (people who have a certain muscle structure in there lip). Each persons different. The only way to know if you should change is to get a private teacher.

3. ZachAttack919

ZachAttack919 New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    I have been taught since day one to keep my cheeks in, and I think it helps keep the flow of air focused when you're playing. It seems as though you are doing fine, though, and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Deffinitely do not 'smile' to get in the upper register. This will have a negative effect on your chops. The trick is to bring your bottom lip together and pull your lip up against your teeth, but without adding pressure from the mouthpiece. Don't think too much about your uppper lip, and also try at the same time to not pinch your lips. You'll end up pinching your sound and get squealy without any tone.