what to people consider to be "big" hours of practise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tonidimitri, Apr 23, 2007.

1. tonidimitri

tonidimitri New Friend

Apr 23, 2007
    sydney australia
    throughout my trumpet playing carreer ive always heard people talking bout how many hours the spend on their horns everyday and whatr they consider to be a large amount of practise, im just wondering what the average of what most people put in..

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    4 hours a day is the most anyone would need to practice. If you don't waste an inordinate amount of time with the warm-up, you can accomplish great things in 4 hours.

ML

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I would love to practice 4 hours a day but with the rest of my classes and work I can only get 2 hours a day. 3 hours on weekends. Obviously I want to accomplish as much as I can in those 2 hours so I try to regiment the time into sections. An hour on what I call basic maitenence ie scales, lip exercises, tonguing exercises, breath builders, range exercises etc.. and an hour on the pieces I am currently working on. I find that by following this "schedule" I can get the most out of the time I do have.

Hope that helps :D

4. TrumpetEd

TrumpetEd New Friend

Feb 26, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    I think a lot depends on the strength of your embouchure. Because of my very heavy schedule, I try to practice at a minimum of twice a day, an hour minimum at each time. This does not include the warm-up. I have a friend who practices three times a day around his meal times and he has incredibly strong chops. Also, many professional players only have enough time each day to just maintain their chops because their already playing so much. I agree with Mr. Laureano though. If you can get in four hours a day, that would be awesome, but the main thing is that you're practicing correctly. An hour of correct practice is better than 8 hours of practice that could be damaging.

Ed Annibale

5. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  6. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    This is a very individual thing. Practicing trumpet; Arban, Sclossberg, Clark, etc. Practicing music; solos, excerpts, learning jazz tunes, band music. Learning improvisation. Then there is the cornet, flugel, piccolo. Depending on how diverse you are this could take all day.

7. TrumpetEd

TrumpetEd New Friend

Feb 26, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    PH,

tonidimitri did not say he was a developing student. Also, you're talking about college. When a person is going to college and majoring in music, they have all day to practice and play. I can tell you for a fact that most professionals do not have the luxury of practicing that much. Then there are guys like me who played professionally for many years, but now work a 40+ hour a week job, it is impossible to practice that many hours, but it is not impossible to get in a good solid practice routine and continue to improve.

8. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    For me it's 9:am-12:pm
    2:00-5:00 pm
    7:00-10:00
    That's if im not doing a gig that day.
    On a gig day it's 9:00-1:00pm.
    For the most part i alway's keeep my horns on the stand
    when i'm in the house,cause when i walk by them i tend to alway's pick them up thru out the day.

9. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Only wish to add that most pros have gone through at least one period (of at least nine months) where 6+ was the norm.