what to people consider to be "big" hours of practise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tonidimitri, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Originally Posted by barato
    All that matters is what you put into the practice. "Practice doesn't make perfect! Perfect Practice makes perfect."

This is one of those axioms that sounds good, but doesn't make sense when you scrutinize it.

No one plays perfectly in practice or on stage. Whoever says this is tryng to emphasize the importance of top notch concentration when practicing. Amen! When we practice the main thing we practice is concentration. WHAT we practice is almost incidental.

However, if only perfect practice makes one improve then logic would say that if I practice shooting basketball free throws and I miss 8 out of 10 attempts then my percentage will get worse rapidly because I make 4 times as many "mistakes" as I have "success". Of course, everyone knows this is not the case. It is also not the case in practicing to acquire any other kind of skill...such as trumpet playing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What he said!

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    what he said!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sorry, Pat.

We're going to have to agree to disagree because I don't see how you could see my point of view other than by living my life. I don't think I could have a complete reckoning of yours, either.

If you wish to believe what classical players do is play endless repetitions of exercises in a lifeless manner such as would not be enjoyed, there's little I can do to persuade you otherwise. All I can say is that doesn't sound like anything I've ever been involved in. I can say, however, that I'm happy not to ever have played a middle G for twenty minutes in order to get my musico-motor running.

If my tone is stern about this, forgive me but I mean every word. I work too hard to bring beauty and life to every note I play to read that classical players don't enjoy what they do as much as jazz players do, slight kidding notwithstanding. I would also have you take note of the fact that you won't be able to find one single post that I've written about jazz players where I refer to classical players as "legit" players. I only bring that up to illustrate that jazz players have my respect and I dislike the inference that what they do is not "legitimate". As I say, it's a question of respect for another craft.

ML

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007