What to study for speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Msen, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Is there something I can study for speed? Or should I grab the metronome and jam to it always increasing the bpms?

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I think you've answers you own question.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Eight letters:

P.R.A.C.T.I.C.E.

4. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn

I know :)))) But what that's what I am asking :)))

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ..................................................Practice swooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o Is this the secret method that develops speed, extreme high register, improvization in 21 days?

PS: I'm from Greece, so I may not get your slang :))))

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Arbans or clarke.

8. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Are there specific studies by Arban or Clarke? Which do you recommend

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder what music you'd like to play but are having difficulty with because you can't play the notes fast enough?

Rather than just trying to play stuff as it comes into your head at various (increasing) speeds I suggest you pick something repeatable written down like The Carnival of Venice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jDld11jhw sheet music: Fantaisie and Variations on The Carnival of Venice (Arban, Jean-Baptiste) - IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library: Free Public Domain Sheet Music ) which starts out pretty easy then gets more complicated. Play it at half speed (or whatever you can manage) - use your metronome - and work up from there. The Carnival of Venice isn't just about speed/short notes but being able to play pretty demanding rythms musically.

How fast is the music you're aiming to play (again)? Something which sounds sort of fast is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdmRexny18 but I think with some work and practice should be quite manageable, for example.

--bumblebee

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    High range is achieved by a different process that I call my phwooooo technique.

The speed swoosh is achieved by any repetitive pattern or phrase run that is practiced over and over again to develop muscle memory. Anything that takes work away from the brain enhances speed.

With swoosh and phewoooo you will rule the trumpet world.