What trumpet finish resists sweaty hands corrosion?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jgotteach, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Rapid Deployment

Rapid Deployment New Friend

May 1, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've played a Benge 3x since 1987 and the silver plating has held up extremely well. The ONLY wear is where the right hand thumb rest between the 1st and 2nd valves & lead pipe, and that is even hard to find. I could not be more pleased with a horn.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    get it gold plated. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy in the Air Force Concert Band and he had all of his trumpets gold plated for that very reason. It also looks very nice.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is a plating called hardgold which is (as far as a know) gold with small amounts of nickel (which is probably not recommendable for people with nickel allergies) and even more resistant to corrosion than 24k gold plating.

4. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    What is the purpose of the aluminum foil in the salt bath that Rowuk suggested? Also, what water/salt ratio is acceptable? Thanks.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Aluminum has a greater affinity for sulfur than silver, so the sulfur which is bound up with silver as tarnish is released and transported to the foil, or precipitated out as flakes. The baking soda dissociates and forms an electrolyte which carries the sulfur to the aluminum. The process is an electrochemical reaction where there is a small electrical current between the two metals, just as in a battery.

v

6. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    So I won't be doing this with my lacquer horn then. Thanks for the explanation. I might try it on my silver beater sitting in the closet. You mentioned baking soda...that is a part of the mix as well? Salt, baking soda, and aluminum foil?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads and Lassies - the search function works for salt, al foil, carb soda.

You will find stuff like this .....

"The Sodium Bi-Carbonate (called bi-carb soda, or sometimes just carb soda) trick is very good for cleaning tarnish off silverplated trumpets - general cleaning uses simple soapy water (good quality hand dishwashing liquid - not machine detergents, they are too harsh)

To one pint of hot water (hot out of the hot tap will do) add 1 tablespoon of bi-carb soda and one teaspoon of non iodised cooking salt - stir until dissolved.

Place a large sheet of aluminium foil to cover the bottom of a plastic container, place your silverplated trumpet onto the foil and pour the solution over the trumpet until the trumpet is completely covered - obviously you will need to mix sufficient solution to do this based on the formula. The trumpet needs to touch the foil (you can loosely wrap the trumpet in the foil).

This is not suitable for lacquered instruments.

Leave the trumpet, sans valves, in the solution for 30 mins or so and check how the tarnish is coming off (this WILL NOT remove silverplate just the tarnish) - remove, rinse very thoroughly and polish as necessary."

8. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    This is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I'd just like to be sure that I weigh in for anyone considering a valve guard.
    I have very acidic skin, and I've always worn through silver and other metals, so I figured a leather valve guard would be the way to go. After recent research, then a week of learning and regretting, I discovered that the guard indeed had a negative effect on the silver plate of the instrument. The oils (or acid or whatever you want to call it) gathered in and saturated the guard, contacting constantly and unevenly with the plating, creating a nasty looking effect. The guard did not cover the entire horn, and there are other areas that were in constant contact with my hand, which are worn, but nowhere near as bad, due to my vigilance in wiping down the horn after use.

The best solution to very acidic skin is wiping down the instrument, and keeping it clean. DO NOT use a guard.

I will post the gruesome pictures if anyone is interested.

9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Use a handkerchief like Pops did. Not only does it protect the horn, you can use it to wipe the horn down before you put it away.

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    P.S. I would use a separate handkerchief to wipe your nose.